What is it REALLY like for Americans living in Mor?n?
Posted: 14 August 2008 10:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-08-14

Hi, We are an Air Force family and Mor?n AB is one of the possibilities for our next base. We lived in Northern Italy for six years and I absolutely loved it…the language, culture, and travel opportunities are unbeatable. Unfortunately when we lived in Europe Spain was one of the few countries we never traveled to, and I regret that. However, for some reason I’ve never considered living in Spain. I’ve always heard that Mor?n is a fairly remote area, and while I don’t expect there to be a Target 20 minutes down the road I’m wondering if someone can give me an assessment of what it would be like to live in that area. I have a 3-year-old so I’m considering peronsal safety, driving distances, housing, cost of living, support services at the base, culture, attitudes toward Americans in the area…pretty much anything you can think of, I’d like to know. Thanks so much!

Posted: 18 August 2008 07:10 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-04-10

Hi, Good Luck on your move.

I have two brothers in the Air Force and I wish they would get destined to Moron.

We grew up in a Seville pueblo, and it’s interesting.  You will be very safe, no problem there.  Most pueblos have plenty of small clothing and grocery stores, gas stations, etc.  You won’t be stranded, but you won’t have access to a lot of American comforts unless you can get them at the PX.  It’s about a 30 minute drive into Seville where there’s plenty to do, but its not so safe.

My parents pay 700? for a 4 bedroom chalet with a garden.  They got a good deal, but I wouldn’t pay more than 1000? for a house in a pueblo.

Spaniards are accepting of Americans if you try to integrate. 

I would get in touch with other families already there or in Rota and see what their experience was like.

-Emily

Signature 

A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day.
-Emily Dickinson

Posted: 31 August 2008 02:17 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-08-31

Hi, what is the meaning of this?

Posted: 02 September 2008 12:39 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

What is the meaning of what ElMaestro???

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 09 January 2009 11:30 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-09

Hello! We are also a military family moving to Spain in May 09.  Six years ago we were stationed in Aviano, Italy. 
We also have small children and are hoping it will be safe and great experience for us all!

Posted: 14 June 2009 11:15 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-06-14

Hi!!!!  I just graduated from college in the US and am moving to Spain for a year to teach English.  My program just sent me an email saying that I’ve been placed in Moron de la frontera where I will be teaching at an elementary school.  I was initially very disappointed as I had hoped to be placed within a bigger city, however the more I’ve been reading about Moron, the nicer it sounds.  I read a post saying that Moron itself was fairly safe yet boring while Sevilla is fun yet dangerous???  How expensive is transportation to Sevilla?  Should I expect cafes with Wifi and other amenities in Moron or will I have to schlep to Sevilla for that?  Is there a considerable population of young people there or is it mostly older families?  My program told me that they will offer some help apartment hunting when I get there but a lot of it I will have to do on my own—how hard will this be in such a remote place?  Are there ways of finding roommates (preferably a local so I won’t be tempted to speak English!)?  Finally, is there any Jewish population in Moron?  Based on my online searches it seemed like there are no Jews in Moron and I found only one synagogue in Sevilla (and it’s orthodox!).  I’m sorry for all the questions,  I would really just love to hear any comments/advice/info you may have for me!!!! 

Muchisimas gracias, les doy un besito!