What is living in Spain really like??
Posted: 12 January 2009 08:31 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-01-12

HI all
I am from South Africa, i’m a fairly succesful business man at the age of 25. My concern is my lifestyle is going to put me in hospital soon, I already have grey hairs, I dont sleep to well (4hrs a night) and sadly I get at least 3 panic attacks a week due to my carreer.

Im looking to make the move to spain by the end of this year, my main reason behind this is to live a less stressful life. I for one believe that chasing money constantly and only enjoying your hard earned work slightly is no way to live.

What is life truly like in Spain, I have been to Spain for a holiday but of course that is completely different to living there, I’m also looking to relocate to Malaga.

I f anyone can truly tell me the nitty gritty of it all, I would be for ever appreciated.

Kindly
Jean

Posted: 13 January 2009 03:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

Hi Jean,

I hope you find the lifestyle change you need - we’ve only been here a couple of weeks but things do seem relaxed and friendly, maybe its just living in a smaller community.  Of course there are the same pressures as around the world everywhere, costs are up and money is tight, but life is definitely simpler here.  Visit, find out as much as you can, talk to people in the areas that interest you… you can make the change if you want to and if its right for you.  It sounds like you need to change something but the first and most important step in that is recognising it so well done so far!

Good luck and ask any questions, I found this forum so helpful,

Maya

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 14 January 2009 11:10 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-01-12

Thanks Maya

Your advice is extremely helpful. My second quest in my big move is to start a bar. I have read on a number of sources that bars in Spain are not really worth while, ecspecially new ones. I can understand this but I am not coming to Spain to make my fortune, simply want to live a normal and less stress filled life.

Do you know what documents I need to work for myself in Spain and would it be possible to find a bar/empty premises to convert into a bar. I am bringing ?100k with me to Spain for this venture alone and honestly do not expect to a good return in at leat 2 years. Is this plain stupid or worth a shot.

Posted: 14 January 2009 06:04 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

Hi again,

Hopefully someone else will respond about the bar, it’s not something I have any experience of, but as a consumer I can tell you that in the current climate a lot of bars around here struggling - people just not going out so much, and fewer tourists especially from the UK due to Sterling’s nosedive.  I think the main reason incomers struggle particularly with bars and restaurants is because a lot of Spanish establishments are family businesses, and obviously can pay accordingly/flexibly/informally if times are hard - but to be an employer in Spain is expensive and complicated.  So it would help if you could bring a horde of hardworking relatives along with you!  But seriously, my impression so far is that this is a good environment for people of an entrepreneurial mindset who do their homework, and whilst times are tough everywhere that in itself is not a reason to carry on where you are if you are miserable!

good luck!

Maya

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 15 January 2009 04:18 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

bar in spain up two last year you spend 200,000 to buy one are more now you see some at 30,000 and this is for the bussines , then rent per month . fewer tourists from all over the Eu , less cash around and that what a pub needs C.A.S.H.  now pubs are selling drink with only 5 % profit .....

rent , power , water , bins , music , staff wages , licensing fees , accounts , whole logistical and you have to pay some where to live
Running a bar is a marriage, is hard work so to avoid the dream turning into a nightmare long hours . the amount of hours that are involved in setting up the bar, stocking it, creating and serving the food and drinks, organizing entertainment and managing part time staff paper work etc . Speaking Spanish is a must . the dream about owning a bar, sipping beer or cocktails on the beach, sunbathing and chatting to friends , you trought that out the window

Concern is your lifestyle is going to put me in hospital soon , pub game not one you sould be looking in two , long hours and lots off problems

pm me and i give mates email you can chat to more about the game , he been in the bussines for the last 20 years he seen big changes in last 2 years

jurdy

Posted: 03 February 2009 03:10 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-12-08

Jean Pierre - you are absolutely completely MAD.

If you really want to be in a box by 30 buy a bar in a country where

1) looooooooooooooooooong hours are the norm
2) you will open 7 days a week
3) the bureaucracy is tough
4) you do not speak a word of the language or have any idea of how things work
5) 99% of all expat bars struggle
6) you have no experience,

Believe me - I did it 20 years ago. Cost me my marriage.

I always laugh when people talk about the lifestyle - you CAN be just as relaxed in the UK (or SA) as anywhere else in the world including Spain - especially if (like you) you are looking to add the HUGE pressure of adding the running of a bar. It’s up to you HOW you live just as much as WHERE you live.

If you decide to do it - GOOD LUCK. The world loves a tryer!

Posted: 03 February 2009 05:52 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-01-12

hi guys thanks for the advice.
Wolfgang much appreciated the sites you gave were valuable with info.

Yes i am well aware of the risks involved, ecspecially in the trying times we have ahead of us, but, risk is part of life and i do love the xcitement of risk. as for what thisisspain said, this is true in many ways, i have heard the same from a number of sources, however i do have a booming business here at home and simply need to be kept busy while in spain. if it turns some sort of profit bonus, but my profit consists of the lifestyle, i have been to spain on a few occasions and absolutely love the life….if you had to spend anytime in SA you will understand my need to leave.

like i said i do enjoy a good challenge lol

Posted: 09 February 2009 08:46 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-07-30

Jean,

As some of the previous posters have mentioned, you’d be mad to try and setup a bar on the Costa del Sol (now or at any time).

I understand that profitability doesn’t seem to be an issue - as you will have income from your business in South Africa to support yourself - but running a bar is incredibly hard work and very stressful.  I have never done it myself, but having spent many hours chatting to bar owners along the Costa del Sol, I know that they have problems with staff, deliveries, Spanish red tape, etc. and work extremely long hours to make enough money to pay the rent. It also doesn’t take a genius to work out that there are far too many bars for not enough expats/holiday-makers - supply massively exceeds demands in most areas.

Moving to Spain can be fantastic (and I will do it someday), but you need to have a coherent plan including how you are going to support yourself and what lifestyle you want to achieve.

Why not just try and slowdown in South Africa?

Good luck.

Chris

Signature 

Call2Abroad
Cheap international calls from Spanish landlines and mobiles

Posted: 10 February 2009 09:25 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

If you’re not that bothered about making a great deal of money but you fancy a bar, why not look at a place in a little village rather than the costas?  You might still work long hours, but it will be leisurely most of the time, you’ll perfect your Spanish quickly, you’ll really get to be part of a community, and all your costs will be rock bottom.  You’ll probably live on the premises, too.  Think Alpujarra, Axarquia, Serrenia de Ronda, Subetica, Cazorla and countless similar places further north - all places where you would get decent business but without the mayhem of the cities or the costas in holiday time.  And these places are mostly stunningly beautiful.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 February 2009 09:10 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2007-10-22

Hi there,

Why not try starting a casa rural business? You provide accommodation to holidaymakers (spanish and international) and leave the bar running to the local bar which the guests can use. That way, you’re not working tough hours as such although a casa rural i still going to take all your time up.

We’re going to do the same - a small number of rooms with common areas and at night a little bar with a few choices and short opening hours. That way we get to concentrate on the running of the guest house without the catering issues.

Jobs a good’un!

(Sits, waiting to be burnt down in flames 😕)