move to spain
Posted: 16 January 2009 04:33 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-16

Hi

Can any one give me any advice on moving to Spain.
My husband and i want to move to Spain for a better life but not sure if it’s right for us as we will have to sell our home to buy a new home in spain and will need to work,
as my husband is 53 and i am 48 and both are unskilled, all my husband knows is scrap metal and all i know is catering and can not speak a word of Spanish (i wonder if this is to much of a gamble at our age).
Any help will be gratefully received.

Posted: 16 January 2009 03:04 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Questions you need to consider:
Where are you looking (Spain is twice the size of the UK with even bigger variations in living costs)?
When you sell your place in the UK and buy in Spain, how much will you have left over?
Is now a good time to exchange the money left from your UK house sale into euros? (Probably not, but it might get worse!)
Can you learn Spanish, and how long will it take? 
If you can’t learn the language quickly, can you work for ex-pat firms (builders, pool installers, bars)?
Could you set up your own business?
How much money do you really need?
Are you running away from problems that will follow you?  (Sorry, but you have to think about that one.)

Elsewhere on this site you’ll see stuff about living costs.  Most things in Spain remain cheaper than the UK even at the current terrible exchange rate, but some - used cars, electronics, maybe health insurance - are more expensive.  And pay rates are lower, should you be lucky enough to get jobs at all.

And definitely, absolutely RENT for a while before you buy.  Houses are just getting cheaper in Spain anyway.

It’s a terrible time to move to Spain, but then it’s a terrible time to stay in the UK too.  Good luck.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 January 2009 03:32 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

Life in spain is just as hard,sometimes even harder than the UK.You need to think about again and again and when you make the choice then think again.
Try not to sell your house we did and regret it 7 years later.Try renting it out and renting here just incase.Work out here is normally on a commision basis only so you need to have ready cash to live on.
The first thing to do i find were you want to live come over and talk to other ex-pat for advise.

Posted: 20 January 2009 04:37 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-16

Thanks to you all for the advise