1 of 2
Fuengirola area
Posted: 26 August 2007 03:21 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-08-22

Hi,
Were looking at moving to spain, soon but would like more info on suitable areas,
where there is a large expat community,
where there are jobs and business opportunities,
Been considering Fuengirola area - can anyone give any advice on this area.
We have 2 children 9 & 17 is Fuengirola a good place to bring up kids.
Which are the easiest area`s to find employment.

Posted: 18 September 2007 03:40 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Hola

Have you thought about Calahonda, there are some good schools there and a bunch of properties available along with a expat community. I live in Torreblanca (other side of Fuengirola) and we come under the Fuengirola bracket of post code, as much as I like it, I prefer inland for living, however, we do not have children, so coastal is much better for families.

Try talking to Direct Estates in Calahonda http://www.directestates.com, they are really helpful and can advise on areas, they have an area guide on their website that includes Fuengirola and Calahonda, they also have a list of schools in their area - they have properties for sale and rent.

As for jobs, I would look at Ambient Jobs http://www.ambientjobs.com as they are a professional recruitment agency located in La Cala - you can search their jobs online, add your CV and also request an interview for a job on their website.

Good luck in your search

Fruity 😊

PS Anywhere along the coast is alive with work, Fuengirola, Marbella, Calahonda are the main areas of business, and I do agree that bringing up your children of 9 and 17 along the coast is better for all the family, the kids have plenty to do and you guys can sit in a beach bar while they enjoy themselves on the beach 😉

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 18 September 2007 09:09 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-08-22

Hi had a look on the website you send, cant find anything to rent, only for sale. Left my phone number so maybe they come up with some thing ,meanwhile still searching. Thank you for replying to us .

Posted: 26 January 2009 04:15 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-25

Hola Wolfgang

Are you aware that Wemploy is no longer in business and is not the market leader anymore?

Website is still there but their office in Fuengirola has been closed for quite some time now.

They have added adsense to their website to earn money from their traffic 😊

Simone

Signature 

Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 26 January 2009 04:58 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-25

Hola Wolfgang

Yeah another one bites the dust, I believe in Spain there are AmbientJobs and RecruitSpain, there could be others but I have not heard of them yet 😊

Signature 

Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 26 January 2009 10:07 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2009-01-26
meikedave - 26 August 2007 03:21 AM

Hi,
Were looking at moving to spain, soon but would like more info on suitable areas,
where there is a large expat community,
where there are jobs and business opportunities,
Been considering Fuengirola area - can anyone give any advice on this area.
We have 2 children 9 & 17 is Fuengirola a good place to bring up kids.
Which are the easiest area`s to find employment.

for what it is worth.

Been living in Fuengirola for the last 5 years.
Spain has got a wide range of nationalities with a large scandinavian and finnish continget. Of course there are a lot of brits aswell. Totalling about 15/20% of the population

Fuengirola is no longer a resort town as it was in years passed, now it has a more all year round feel, unlike alot of Mijas Costa and Benalmadena.

In regards to schools and such, some very good private schools can be found in Fuengirola, and if not they are easily accessible via the train line.
Remember if you are in many parts of the costa del sol, transport will become an issue.

In regards to work. It will boil down to “how good are you?”

Andrew

Signature 

Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol Blog

Posted: 01 February 2009 12:26 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-12-08

“PS Anywhere along the coast is alive with work, Fuengirola, Marbella, Calahonda are the main areas of business”,

That is absolutely totally misleading. I have more queries about finding work in Spain than anything else - there is VERY little employment
Self-employment is king.

I understand you want people to visit your websites (they are linked from mine) but please can we have some transparency. Spain has OFFICIALLY 18% unemployment and trying to find paid employment is TOUGH!

Posted: 01 February 2009 05:15 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-08

I was answering expatriator. “Anywhere along the coast is alive with work”  rubbish. I even got annoyed when I read it as I wish it were true!

I TOTALLY BELIEVE IN self-employment, I have been self-empolyed for 30+years (Only EVER employed for about 3 months) but that is NOT what 99% of the people who join these forums/dream of Spain generally speaking are asking about. They are looking for paid work with contracts. This is NOT the reality of expatshire. Sure there are “vacancies” in the SUR but AYK if you take out the telecan vacancies, boilershops, MLMs etc there are very very very few for shop assistants, HGV2 drivers, dental receptionists etc etc These are the type of paid positions that most people look for. Whilst there ARE still a very few in SUR the numbers of these in the Costa Blanca News or the Sentinella in Mojacar are even less.

Good luck to all

Posted: 02 February 2009 12:27 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-26

Evening gents
I thought unemployement in spain was at 13.9%. Do you have a source for the 18%?

Second thisisspain, i think you mean fruity. Expatriator seems to be a title confered by the forum. Mines tourist (for now anyway).

From my perspective most expats shoot themselves in the foot when moving to spain as they do not speak the language. Let’s be honest, when do you go into a large spanish run company and find brits working there? Although recently i was suprised to have a telefonica technician come round speaking to me in spanish and after five minutes chatting i found out he from leeds!

Most brits land up in jobs catering to other brits. So either the client base is small or very seasonal. Learn the language if you intend to move here, broaden your options!

Signature 

Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol Blog

Posted: 02 February 2009 05:35 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-08

Andrew - you have now moved from “Tourist” to “Just landed” it seems. You are correct I was talking about fruity.

As regards unemployment the Instituto Nacional de Estad?stica do indeed quote 13,91% but my understanding is that most commentators BELIEVE that the true figure is more like 18% when those on “training” etc are factored in. In fact I saw a rather fatalistic article this week that said the TRUE figire is more like 22% as many people do not register as they know it is pointless as they wil receive no benfits.

Yes, I am the only Brit in my office and the company would not employ anybody who was not at least tri-lingual. Why would I employ a Brit when I can employ a Scandi or Belgian/Dutch applicant who will probably speak at least 4 languages?

Posted: 02 February 2009 10:44 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-26

And I wonder how of those officially employed, are working on the side…

Signature 

Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol Blog

Posted: 02 February 2009 11:09 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-08
Andrew Belles - 02 February 2009 10:44 PM

And I wonder how of does offcially employed, are working on the side…

.............the mind boggles!!

Posted: 03 February 2009 03:02 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-08

I would concur 100%

Posted: 03 February 2009 03:14 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
Wolfgang Brand - 03 February 2009 02:09 PM

However I had a look in the Spanish papers, and guess what, job offers requiring high level of education or certain skill sets. Thats Malaga, most actually being IN Malaga City.

Well, to the TO: Whats wrong with living in Fuengirola and getting a Job in Malaga? Of course learning Spanish is crucial for a job in Malaga.

I would add that Malaga is a great city in itself, and it’s a shame that most Northern Europeans who fly into Malaga airport just head straight for the resorts and miss its pleasures, which include great bars, restaurants, art galleries, shops, beaches etc…  Personally if I was working in Malaga I’d want to live there too - I’ve never understood the appeal of the resort towns - and as the traffic is so bad, it would be nice to walk to work…..  Yes you’ll need Spanish in the city, of course, but it’s also a good place to learn the language.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 February 2009 03:31 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-08

Yes, I spent all Sunday in the driving rain in M?laga with some Swedish friends and I was just musing how few expats ever venture there,

The Picasso Museum, The Picasso Foundation, the Paseo, Bull Ring, Cathedral, Sanctuary, Football Ground, beautiful Railway Station (it IS possible to build nice stations) and of course “Up the hill” to the Parador and Alcazaba. A great city .........................where you will hear Spanish spoken! (Or at least the andalu equivalent!!)

1 2 > 
1 of 2