Moving to spain late summer from US, jobs?!
Posted: 03 February 2009 11:47 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-02-03

Hello Everyone,

I am a 27 year old male that lives in Florida but has dual Irish citizenship(recently obtained through my grandmother) and is determined to move to Spain.  I guess the reason is because I love the culture and have always wanted to learn spanish ( I am currently “intermediate in my studies).  Also, well, I have a sis teaching english in Japan and I kinda want to do some traveling too before I settle down.  Anyway, I have a business degree, experience as an analyst and have plenty of cash saved to last me a while, but I don’t want to go without a plan in place.  What are my options?  If there are any expats out there that have been in my shoes I’d love to hear your success stories, or obstacles you’ve had to overcome.  This is my dream, any advice that can obtained would be so appreciated!

Thanks,

Olen

Posted: 04 February 2009 12:12 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

In real life Spain is a hugely varied country with accordingly varied lifestyles, communities, cultures, climates etc - I think you need to first narrow down how and where you want to live, to make it easier to research your options and get more specific advice.  We’re on the Costa Blanca and we love it, though it’s hardly ‘real Spain’ compared to a rural inland area, and the big cities are very different again…  Perhaps the next stage of your research should involve a good long tour around if you’re in a position to do that?  And get a real feel for the reality of Spain. 

Certainly not trying to puncture the dreams and if there are any specific questions any of us can help with you can be sure we will,

Maya

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 09 February 2009 02:28 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-02-03

Maya,

Thanks for your help.  I’m thinking about living in Madrid if thats where I have the most job opportunities as an english speaking with intermediate spanish skills.  I feel as if I can live in Spain for 6 months or so, I can improve my spanish considerably, and then, jobs would be easier to find.  So, thanks again!  I’ve got 6 months of planning ahead of me…lets hope I can figure this out…

Posted: 09 February 2009 05:49 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

dual Irish citizenship(recently obtained through my grandmother) well done , what part of FL are you from ? thought you have bite off spanish due to the Mexions in your area , if there any , was in Naples and Miami
jurdy

Posted: 09 February 2009 04:41 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-02-09

hi!

i also want to move from the us to spain… it’s my big dream…
but i’m a little bit afraid of going alone in a new country!
next week my spanish lessons starts, i want to learn the language before going to a new country!
i’m really interested in your stories!