disability benefits
Posted: 12 February 2007 04:45 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-02-12

My son (27) is mentally handicapped and attends a centre here in Ireland and receives disability benefit, I also receive a carers allowance. We are thinking of moving close to Bilbao so I presume there will be centres similar to the one he attends here in Ireland but does anyone know if benefits are paid to the diabled and their carers in Spain or know where I can obtain that information.
Thanks

Posted: 12 February 2007 07:58 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Go the Dept of Work and Pensions (DWP) site and download their info brochure SA29 - should give you a good start on this one…..........

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 13 February 2007 01:03 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-02-12

Thanks for your reply “Robi” but I was enquiring how I find out what disability benefits are paid by the Spanish authorities. I am a retired Firefighter and know I can get my pension transfered to Spain but my sons allowance will cease when I live in Spain and I will have to apply for benefits for him under their social welfare legislation.
Thanks
Manny

Posted: 13 February 2007 05:08 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi Manny - I do not think the Spanish system pays any benefits unless you either are working in the Spanish system and paying tax and their equivalent to NI or maybe pensioners may qualify for something. Basically this is not a benefits welfare state the same as the UK. But if you dont ask you dont get (as I have just posted in another case) This is a good cultural point - the Spanish tend not to tell you anything unless you ask. I dont think that they are intending to be secretive they just assume if you dont ask it is because you already know so they dont volunteer the info!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca