car insurance & tax in spain
Posted: 05 February 2009 06:28 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-02-05

i am moving to malaga in march an was wondering how much the costs on car insurance and tax would be

would be grateful for any info u have

Posted: 06 February 2009 10:46 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Depends on the car and your circumstances ie age and NCB etc - generally car tax is cheaper than the UK insurance around the same.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 11 February 2009 09:34 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-06-08

Hello

Car insurance is about twice the price of the UK.  I have a Focus diesel.  In the UK I was paying just over ?200 fully comp.  For the same vehicle here it is 520 euros.  The only addition is that you get roadside assistance with that.  I think there are two reasons for the higher cost, firstly, in the event of an accident, all medical costs and treatment are paid for by the insurance company.  The second factor, and defiantly the main reason,  is the appalling driving in Spain, they a complete idiots behind the wheel, be afraid, be very afraid!!!!  (You think I am joking, just wait until you get here).  With regard to the road tax, it seems to be around 80 - 100 euro’s. 

Direct Line Insurance now operate here, but are known as Linea Directa, they would be worth trying, I am with them, but from what I have been told recently, if, when they give you a quote you let it be known that it is far too much, you may well a discount, worth a try.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Martin

Posted: 13 February 2009 02:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
Turnip - 11 February 2009 09:34 PM

...the appalling driving in Spain, they a complete idiots behind the wheel, be afraid, be very afraid!!!!  (You think I am joking, just wait until you get here).

I’ve driven thousands of kilometres in Spain, especially Andalucia but also in Catalunya, Basque Country etc., and I’ve never seen any evidence that the Spanish are worse drivers than the Brits (they park like blind people, but that’s another story).  The statistics are bad, I know, but in Britain everyone is trying to retain their no-claims bonus so they don’t report minor accidents - that must make a big difference.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 February 2009 05:32 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

I agree with MartCross,i have driven here for many years and the only problem is Brit coming over and driving on the wrong side of the road, going round the roundabout the wrong way (i must confess i did that one )not being able to read the road signs,drink driving and finally not knowing which lane to go in when leaving the airport.Spanish drivers i find are a lot more friendlier then drivers in the uk

Posted: 13 February 2009 05:38 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-06-08

OK, I am clearly wrong, lets leave it at that, Spanish driving standards are one of the best in the world.  THE END!

Posted: 23 February 2009 09:25 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-05

Is it actually illegal to have no road tax and if so does any know how and were to pay it.

Posted: 24 February 2009 01:39 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

pepsi hi;

In answer to your question re road tax…Yes it is illegal not to have road tax.

Normally, when you purchase a car over here, the garage or agent handling the sale carries out the the ownership transfer and the local authority is advised of the change by the agent.
When road tax becomes due the local authority sends out a bill to your registered address. You take the bill to the bank identified on the bill and pay the tax there. The bill is stamped and a receipt attached. This is the only evidence that you have of having paid the tax. Unpaid road tax also attracts fines which are added to the renewal bill.

Note that Trafficos of the Guardia Civil usually have PDA’s with which they can check ownership details, liability for tax, insurance details and the validity of your ITV cert.

Obviously this only applies to Spanish registered vehicles.

If the car is British registered then it must be taxed via DVLA Swansea and this includes the necessity for an English MOT cert. and insurance.
DVLA will not send a road tax disc to an address outside of the UK.
A Spanish ITV (MOT) cert is completely invalid in respect of non Spanish registered vehicles.
It is an offence under EU law to operate a UK vehicle outside of the UK without a valid UK tax disc, MOT cert and Insurance.
It is an offence under Spanish Law to operate a UK reg vehicle in Spain for more than 180 days.
After this time the vehicle must be removed or re-registered onto Spanish plates and this opens a whole new can of worm

It has been estimated that at least 80% of foreign registered vehicles in Spain are illegal in this respect.
Hope this helps…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 24 February 2009 03:35 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-05

I have never had a bill sent to me how do i go about paying it.

Posted: 24 February 2009 05:49 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

where did you buy it ?

Posted: 24 February 2009 06:07 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

pepsi hi;

Since I dont know where you are its a bit difficult to advise, but if the vehicle is registered in your name and at your address, I’d be inclined to visit your local town hall or whoever sends out your normal domestic rates bill and see what the situation is.
Certainly where we live the road tax bill emanates from our local town hall.
Other than that I have no other suggestions I’m afraid.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773