Starting anew
Posted: 25 February 2009 10:22 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-02-25

Hello all 😊

I am 19 years old turning 20 in june, I was born and raised in the United States but I am 100 % latin descendant my dad was from spain/portugal and my mom is salvadoren ( should i leave that bit of info out when i move , I’ve recently grown tired of society and decided to get up and leave, I’ve been lookin through this site and its awfully helpful and has answered many of my questions, but i still have some more.

I am a photographer and a writer and I currently have a 3 book publishing deal i am working on, only have a few semester of college under my belt that i took but they are mostly med school courses,  but i feel i dont need to go to school to be successful in my life. I am looking to move to an area not to far from a bike ride / motorcycle ride to the city but yet very calm.

My aunt lives in Alicante so i was thinking i might start there as a way of settlign in but i am still unsure. I’ve been told that Andalusia or somewhere in Valencia would be good for me.  I speak Spanish very fluently and its my first language so i would have no problem there.

Would it be easier for me to find a job there with an AA ( assosciates degree ) if so i would finish up school, or could i possible work in shops, bookstore,hotel, etc. and make a decent living. I am very simple and don’t require much to satisfy, I’m sure i can make due with a one bedroom flat/apt and i am also very useful and i know how to take care and look after myself. And i was looking into paper work and i was wondering how long does it take to get processed i am looking into a temp residency, get one year renew to two and then if its for me look into a permanent stay.

there is also a possibility that my bestfriend/lover would be moving with me would it would be easier earning and living an income with another person? she too speaks fluent spanish and is planning on working. we’d probably be able to share a one bed room flat.

Posted: 25 February 2009 06:41 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

Hey there and welcome!

Lets start with the negative - it is not going to be easy finding a job anywhere in Spain for anyone right now.  Unemployment is skyrocketing, as everywhere - so if you will be dependent on work to live/stay in Spain I can only heartily suggest you do all you can to line something up in advance.  On the plus side your language skills are a huge advantage (though don’t forget a lot of Alicante/Valencia region has Valenciana as a first language), also your attitude that you are willing to do any work and live simply etc is going to serve you well here.

I don’t want to sound patronising but you are so young - and that gives you great flexibility in your life - why not think of it as an adventure holiday, with your partner, start off at your Aunts and see if you like it and can find any means to support yourself and if not you had an amazing vacation.  It’s a great country, and if you can find the means or live off your publishing royalties for a bit, you will have a great time.  Keep in touch and ask lots of questions, you will find huge support on this forum and the main site is packed with useful info,

good luck!

Maya

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 25 February 2009 07:26 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Welcome to the forum greenrevolution , hope you will njoy here and ask away and hopeful we can reply to you , BuenosDiasPet sayying it is not going to be easy finding a job , tought time here in spain aswell , you like Alicante as it a young city , lots around you age here . As finding a flat , easy here , give me shot when you get here as work in the Media here and know few heads ....

jurdy