I need tips on buying a motorcycle for only two months!
Posted: 04 March 2009 12:39 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-05-22

I will only be here for two more months, but can’t live another second without a bike!!! And I’m NOT talking about a moped or scooter. I need a bike close to the one I ride back home, a sportbike. Something which will work around town, on long trips and at the racetrack- like my Yamaha R1.

The problems are:
shipping mine here from North Carolina is too expensive.
I’ve heard (could someone please verify this!) that one can’t register a bike here without a Spanish license for that type of bike
(they have tiered licensing here, so even though I can ride whatever I want with my int’l license, I don’t know if I can register it.)

So I don’t know what to do. I am trying to convince one of the people who’s selling a used bike to rent it to me for a couple months, to no avail. You would think they’d be happy for the extra money, but no. None of the rental places seem to rent sportbikes, they’re all standards or cruisers, which bore me. I can’t buy one and ship it home, as then I have to deal with it not being street legal there. Plus all the bikes I like are also available in the US, so it’s not like I can bring home something special.

Any tips for getting myself back onto two wheels ASAP for the next couple months?!?! I plan to spend most of April roaming southern Europe by bike, so I need to get this going.

Posted: 05 March 2009 04:55 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

If it’s for a couple of months, is it worth buying one then selling it on?

Maya

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 08 March 2009 01:20 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-08-12

My friend has one for sale give him a mail on

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

He lives in Spain near Calpe

It is a Fazer 600

John

Posted: 11 March 2009 05:42 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-05-22

I want to buy one then sell it, but you can’t register a bike here without an NIE. you can be put on someone else’s insurance as an additional driver, but nobody wants to do that because supposedly whatever happens while I’m riding goes on their record. Plus I’ve heard it’s impossible to sell anything used in Spain.

Posted: 11 March 2009 06:25 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

1 car here are not selling as is motorcycle 2 if the paper work dose not go throught the last person will be payying your fines 3 insurance company only do 12 month contracts here . if do some contract its going to cost you .... i pay extra 200 euros so i can drive any ones car are jeep

int?l license are used to rent cars mainly , rent a bike Susanna then be ok and full insurance and legal on the road and you holiday insurance will be legal