Telefonica Home Web Server and Other Hosting Issues
Posted: 20 April 2009 02:02 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-11-19

Hi all.

I’m having problems setting up a home web server, as well as other services I’d like to host from my home computer, and am wondering if anyone else out there is having similar promblems.  I’m currently a Telefonica DSL customer (Madrid) and am wondering if that has anything to do with it.  I’ve read some posts on other tech forums that suggest some ISP’s block certain services/ports that would allow their residential customers from hosting home servers.  Has anyone out there had similar issues using Telefonica?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Greg

Posted: 20 April 2009 02:17 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Give it 8 weeks when the Chairman of Telefonica gets sent to Jail for 5 years You will find a “BIG” change in Telefonica…

I thought Telefonica does the same as UK changes the IP Address so you cannot host a website until you pay for one of there Fixed IP’s?

As this is the case for many ISP’s?

Posted: 21 April 2009 02:25 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-11-19

Thanks for the info, MAC.  I’ve experienced all the common complaints about Telefonica (frequent service interruptions, poor customer service, long delays for installation, etc) so I won’t shed a tear if the chairman does end up in jail.  I can only hope things get better in the future.

Regarding IP Addresses, I know Telefonica changes them periodically for home customers here in Spain.  But I’m not sure that, in and of itself, would prevent one from hosting a web service from their home computer, as there are a number of third party software apps that can automatically update the server with the new IP Address.  I wonder if Telefonica is actually blocking external requests to my IP, thereby preventing a website or other service from being accessed outside my home network.

I would call their customer support number to ask but last time we did the following month’s bill showed additional charges for services we didn’t request.  Then our internet was disconnected for a week and a half after we called to cancel the unwanted services.  That’s why I’m posting here in hopes there’s an Expat IT guru who might be able to assist.

Thanks!

Posted: 21 April 2009 02:28 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

Ok.. But you will not be able to host Any web server on home Internet package…

You have to upgrade to a home business pack.. Oh that costs over 200 euros a month….

Mac

Posted: 06 May 2009 03:22 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18

With basic DSL service you can host your own services, just need to open ports on router (Normally browse to http://192.168.1.1/ user 1234 pass 1234 to manage router). If you need to have fixed IP, contract additionally “IP FIJA” and in a few days you get the fixed IP activated (Costs 6?/month).

regards

Posted: 06 May 2009 04:07 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi Pieter thanks for the info.. I never knew it was as cheap as that… After asking Telefonica about hosting a web server on the ADSL service they pulled a figure out of a hat (Typical Telefonica!)

Mac

Posted: 06 May 2009 04:25 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18

I guess they tried to sell their hosting solutions,etc.  If afterwards you need stable hosting solutions then look for a hosting-provider like arsys.es or similars.

regards

‹‹ LCD TV’s      VOIP CALLS ››