Satelite technology from Northern Spain Resident.
Posted: 07 May 2009 09:24 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-06-06

I live in Azpeitia, Gipuzkoa, Nothern Spain. I have read alot about Freesat and UK customers receiving free HD TV.
WOW!!
At the moment I have no dish/cable…just terrestrial local TV, which is trash as you all know.
My questions are?

1. If I have a dish installed can I receive Freesat broadcast…if so, do I just inform the technician of the coordinate and tune it?
2. What hardware, if any do I need from the UK?
3. If I can?t get Freesat…can I get I get UK Freeview and if so what hardware would I need from the UK and how simple is installation?
4. What is TDT and is it an option for me?

Your guidance is appreciated!!

Many thanks.

Tony

Ps I am a non techy type, please don?t blind me.
Ps And sorry ifthis is a question asked all the time….just copy and paste or link me to info

Posted: 08 May 2009 11:24 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07

Hi

phlaaps - 07 May 2009 09:24 PM

1. If I have a dish installed can I receive Freesat broadcast…if so, do I just inform the technician of the coordinate and tune it?

Yes, all you need is a relevant size dish (maybe in your area you cabn get away with a 80cm or 1m dish) and point the dish to 28.2 - 28.5 east (of south)

2. What hardware, if any do I need from the UK?

If you want to watch the free to air channels on Freesat then you will require a Freesat box (thye do basic, HD, or HD with hard disk)
If you want to watch the free to air and free to view (Freesatfromsky) channels you will need a sky box (basic or HD) and a freesatfrom sky card.
You can also watch free to air channels on a generic free to air channels.

3. If I can?t get Freesat…can I get I get UK Freeview and if so what hardware would I need from the UK and how simple is installation?

You cannot watch Freeview in Spain. Freeview is only transmitted from UK land based transmitters…and none of them reach Spain.

4. What is TDT and is it an option for me?

TDT is the SPansih version of the UK Freeview system. ie diital TV via yoru TV aerial. about 30 digital TV channel, all spanish, but many have the option to change the language “english / american” on xcertain programmes.

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory

Posted: 08 May 2009 06:24 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-06-06

I?ve looked at Freesat boxes on Ebay and the price ranges from ?30 to ?140.

Is there one you?d recommend for here and what price range should I be looking at?

Dishes too range in price quite a bit….is there a price and type I should be looking at?

Is buying from Ebay a bad idea in your opinion?

Do I need a UK address to get it running?

What price do you think I should expect to pay a man to stick a dish on the roof and wire to my TV (roughly)?

Thank you for your replies….if I lived down your part of the country I?d just phone you and get you to do it. I need to get prices in my head for here as these boys like to stick their arm in!!

Your time is appreciated.

Tony

Posted: 08 May 2009 11:38 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07
phlaaps - 08 May 2009 06:24 PM

I?ve looked at Freesat boxes on Ebay and the price ranges from ?30 to ?140.

prices depend which freesat models you want
standard definition, high definition or high definition with hard disk drive.

Is there one you?d recommend for here and what price range should I be looking at?

Humax HD or Humax HD+

Dishes too range in price quite a bit….is there a price and type I should be looking at?

Depends exactly where you are…1.8 or 2.4m primefocus are common, popular and best for their price. Better dishes exist but are mucg more expensive. Best check with a local installer for the best size for your area.

Is buying from Ebay a bad idea in your opinion?

Depends what you are buying. For receivers its may be best to get them from an local installer, as they should all have at least a 1 years gaurentte and be able to “Pop around” to fix any issues.

Do I need a UK address to get it running?

Freesat is free to air. you do not need a viewing card to view the channels.
however, on set up , freesat boxes do ask for a UK postvcode, so that it can configure your BBC and ITV regions. Best to geo for a CHannels ISlands psot code as these tend to be the stronger signals.

What price do you think I should expect to pay a man to stick a dish on the roof and wire to my TV (roughly)?

Depends on the dish size. 1.8 around 700e. 2.4m around 1300e - with stand, dish, cable, installation and lnb.

Thank you for your replies….if I lived down yo

ur part of the country I?d just phone you and get you to do it. I need to get prices in my head for here as these boys like to stick their arm in!!
Your time is appreciated.
Tony

You can always post or PM or email me with quotes or company names and i can try and gguide you as to ones i have heard of etc..?

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory