Which is better - take car to spain or buy 2nd hand when there?
Posted: 08 May 2009 05:21 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2007-10-22

Is it better to drive my RHD car down to spain and get my spanish wife to register it in her name? She already has spanish ID but her licence is now british. I’ve read that it is a hassle but because my wife is spanish would it make life easier for us to process?

Or is it still better to just buy a 2nd hand car when we get there? I hear they are much more expensive out there and there’s less choice.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks, Steve

Posted: 08 May 2009 09:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

How long are you staying and how much is the car worth?  I’d generally say take the car, they’re much cheaper in the UK, and you can fill it with stuff to take with you.  You can drive it around for a bit as a tourist but if you are staying you need to re-register and that will cost you quite a bit, though probably not more than you’d save on the car itself.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 May 2009 01:17 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2008-10-24

You can drive it for a max. of 6 months with your UK registration.
If you live in Spain, you only need a NIE to register a car in your name.  You will have to pay import tax (amount depends on CO2-level of the car and is max. 14,74% of the official Spanish Fiscal value of your car) and if you want to register the car on your name and it’s on your name in the UK you don’t have to pay a 4% extra.
If you are Resident, you don’t have to pay the import tax, but this seems to be some paperwork and take some time.
Go to a car dealer who is used to import cars, they do all the paperwork for you.
(I imported a German registraed car for my holiday home.)

Posted: 14 May 2009 05:50 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-22

I am staying for the long term as my wife is spanish and we are moving back to start a business. Its registered in my name at the moment in UK. We will drive it down and register it within 6 months as we need to insure it. My wife will do all the paperwork so no need for an agent. The car is only worth 4k in the UK (Its a Renault Gran Scenic 1.6 VVT 2004). This is the practical option but its not a reliable car and I hate it.

I have another car which is my pride and joy, but its not practical - 3ltr coupe bmw 330 sport worth about 5k. Wife says I have to get rid, but this car is much more reliable and at least the air con works!!!

Was thinking of selling both cars in the UK. Then with the cash buy another car e.g. Mazda 6 in UK. Then take that down to Spain as its cheaper to buy it 2nd hand here than it is in spain.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Posted: 14 May 2009 10:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-06-11
SteveBarbosa - 14 May 2009 05:50 PM

I am staying for the long term as my wife is spanish and we are moving back to start a business. Its registered in my name at the moment in UK. We will drive it down and register it within 6 months as we need to insure it. My wife will do all the paperwork so no need for an agent. The car is only worth 4k in the UK (Its a Renault Gran Scenic 1.6 VVT 2004). This is the practical option but its not a reliable car and I hate it.

I have another car which is my pride and joy, but its not practical - 3ltr coupe bmw 330 sport worth about 5k. Wife says I have to get rid, but this car is much more reliable and at least the air con works!!!

Was thinking of selling both cars in the UK. Then with the cash buy another car e.g. Mazda 6 in UK. Then take that down to Spain as its cheaper to buy it 2nd hand here than it is in spain.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

In a word yes,

If you are going for LHD, they will be just as expensive to buy in the UK as in Spain, and once you have gone through the registration process you will find the total costs IE Purchase, Ferry/drive down costs/registration, will probably be more than if you had purchased in Spain, Second point with the current financial climate there are many many bargains about for cash, from both dealers and Expats going back to UK. I bought my first car in UK (LHD) and registered here, to find it would have cost about the same in overall terms, since then I have bought in Spain, through Ebay from an Ebay dealer down in Cadiz, cant fault the car, 12 months any garage guarantee, all transfer done for me in the price , car delivered to my door in Murcia from Cadiz, and the Car was 2300? cheaper than any other alternative I could find both locally, on the net, and from UK Dealers, I checked with 6 other buyers from this guy before i committed.
company was lhd 4 spain, Great to deal with, fantastic value and smooth transaction ,, My advice keep an eye on ebay for them if you have time, and you will get a great deal,
Thirdly if you are moving to Spain and starting a business, there are plenty of issues you will need to be chasing on for big bucks than trying to save on car purchase( like legality of house, horrendous paperwork, etc etc)..

Signature 

Mike

Posted: 15 May 2009 06:28 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-22

Thanks for the advice Mike. On that note I think I will sell the cars here in the UK and then travel somehow to Spain and pick up one down there.

Only problem for me is that I will initially be living in central spain so there are not many expats there. I would have to travel down to collect a car if I happen to see one I like and its going to be hassle to see several cars before making a choice decision.

Cheers, Steve

Posted: 15 May 2009 09:16 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-06-11
SteveBarbosa - 15 May 2009 06:28 PM

Thanks for the advice Mike. On that note I think I will sell the cars here in the UK and then travel somehow to Spain and pick up one down there.

Only problem for me is that I will initially be living in central spain so there are not many expats there. I would have to travel down to collect a car if I happen to see one I like and its going to be hassle to see several cars before making a choice decision.

Cheers, Steve

HI Steve, I note youre in central Spain, and my experience is directly related to the Costa Blanca with a big expat population, so perhaps things may be different.  Good Luck!

Signature 

Mike