Accommodation issues
Posted: 10 May 2009 07:06 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-04-30

Hi everyone,

Got a bit of an issue. We’re moving to Spain on 1st June and looking for somewhere to live. Problem is my hubby is self-employed so there aren’t any employment references to offer, nor will there be any financial records to show them that are relevant. We could show them the English finances but they are unlikely to realisticly correlate in the Spanish market.

A friend suggested a long-term holiday let until we DO have records. Do you guys think this would be a good idea?

Cheers

Emma & Luke

Posted: 10 May 2009 11:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

All you need to rent a long term property is a passport and the cash,they do not do credit checks and all that crap here.

Posted: 11 May 2009 01:04 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-04-30

Oh right, I was under the impression we would. That’s what all the estate agents were asking for anyway :S

Thanks

Emma & Luke

Posted: 11 May 2009 01:43 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
Emma&Luke; - 11 May 2009 01:04 PM

Oh right, I was under the impression we would. That’s what all the estate agents were asking for anyway :S

Thanks

Emma & Luke

They can ask for anything they want, but with a million empty properties in Spain you’ll find that most owners are less fussy than they used to be.  You might even be lucky enough to get a “house-sitting” arrangement and live rent-free or on a very low rent, as many people are unhappy about leaving property empty for security reasons or because they have pets.  You’d probably need references for that, though.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:03 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

I have rented in the Costa del sol for 8 years and never needed a reference,as Martcross says there are million of properties here all needing renting out.
Find a local paper and check that out.