Telefonica Home Web Server and Other Hosting Issues
Posted: 07 May 2009 03:36 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-05-07

Could anybody shed any light on this problem.

In the past month I have not been able to:

send emails with attachments
upload to You Tube
update my web site through an FTP server

this is not with just one computer - this is thru 3 computers (2 mac 1 PC)

All the above have been possible before and have had a telefonica line for several years

Regards

Charlie

Posted: 07 May 2009 05:42 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18

charliew , could you post details if you have an error when doing this, or does it time out, etc ??

Posted: 07 May 2009 08:30 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-07

Hi Pieter

Email from PC
Can send emails without attachments and can receive anything.
When I send an attachment I get

TCP/IP connections was unexpectectedly terminated by the server. Server respons?
`354 Enter message ending with ?n a line by itself?(Account .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). SMTP server:
mail.monkeyproductions.net?Error number 0x800ccc0f

This is thru my account thru my web site using Microsoft Outlook 2000.
Have googled the error and tried various things, switched off Norton Anti Virus and been thru their help and no avail.
Can send attachments thru the my hotmail account.

After this I had problems uploading videos to YouTube - ie I no longer can. On both the PC and a mac.
PC gives upload failed - an unknown error occurred.
Mac just keeps going forever with the status bar not changing.
I have also tried to upload from another mac with no joy.

Last week I tried to update a page on my site (monkeyproductions) using the mac and an FTP server (Fetch). I used the same method as I used to update the site on the web in Feb (this year). If you look at the links page the new version has not fully loaded.

The error message was ftp server dropped the connection.

As this has all happened recently and with things that all used to work - and from a variety of computers I am wondering whether it could be the modem or telefonica. (I have also been in touch with the company that hosts my website)

The modem is fairly old (+4 years) and is wireless.

I dont know if this is relevant but have also had problems with people getting onto the internet. Have had to manualy set them up rather than the it being automatic (finds the network-WlanComtrend) but have to out the IP etc in manually.

Hope this all helps.

Regards

Charlie

Telefonica technical help (902 nos.) is in Spanish only and my Spanish is not good enough to expain.

Posted: 07 May 2009 09:39 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

This sound to a micro-cuts at the dsl, perhaps router or line are faulty. Check if your landline hasn’t background noise,  that all phones are connected using microfilters, and try from a comand line to ping somewhere for long (for example “ping 80.58.0.97 -t”) and see if response time is stable or not). Post comments here to see if i can help you.

regards

Posted: 07 May 2009 11:27 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I’d suspect traffic shaping. Any chance you’ve run bittorrents excessively in the past (which would put you on their radar)?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 May 2009 12:19 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-07

Pieter - totally lost me I?m afraid. I?m aware of pinging but not sure how it works.

Expatriator - ?traffic shaping?  Have a teenage daughter who has been downloading on the file sharing sites (films/music). If this is the case how can i “reset” and also stop her doing it. We have no password control.

Regards

Posted: 08 May 2009 01:15 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Doubtful there’s any way to reset it apart from changing providers. If you’re on Telefonica you should explore other options anyway. I hear good things about Jazztel…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 15 May 2009 08:59 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-07

Have spoken to Telefonica several times (the 902 357 000 nos) and they say that there is no problem with the line.

If I changed providers - would I still have the same problem?

Could this be a router problem?

Im also having problems uploading a picture to my profile on this site.

Yet I can send attachments in hotmail

Confused??????

Posted: 15 May 2009 09:00 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-07

Pieter

How do I do the ping test to test the router?

Posted: 15 May 2009 09:14 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-07

Have done a ping test to the 80.58.0.97

bytes =32 tiempo =64ms TTL=125

Paquetes enviadas =130, recibos 0123, perdidos 0 7
(5% perdidos)
Tiempos aproximados de ida y vuelta in milisegundos
Miimo = 62, Maximo,=143ms, Media =65

Posted: 28 May 2009 01:38 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

That’s not too bad. You’ll need to disconnect your router from the equation, ie. plug in your computer/laptop directly to the modem, then do a ping test for a bit longer to see how it goes. I’d ping yahoo.com instead too.

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2009 01:35 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-05-07

Telefonica did a line test and said there was no problem
I ordered a new router from them which they sent out (took a week)
Have changed the router and everything is working fine aon all computers.

Many thanks for all your help.

It was a faulty router which we have had for years which suddenly developed a problem with sending stuff out !!!!

Posted: 31 May 2009 03:18 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Great to know it was the router. Often it’s a problem that people don’t connect the microfilters or the line is noisy, the router is another cause but rare.

Regards