apartment renting and estate agents.
Posted: 02 June 2009 06:16 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-05-18

Hello,
I am apartment hunting in Granada next week, and I wondered if someone could please help by letting me know how apartment renting works.  I’ve been looking on Pisos.com, Enaquiler.come, etc.  I’ve been sending notes to the “contact info” people to set up appointments.  It seems like when a person wants to see an apartment, it is sometimes shown by an “agency,” rather than by the landlord??  I’m not sure what this means.  And I have also read that agencies can help you, but you need to pay a month’s rent.  I don’t really need help from an agency - I’m setting up appointments myself.  But do you know whether they are going to charge me, just for spending 15 minutes to show me the apartment?  This would be very surprising…...  I also don’t know if you need to bring references, or a resume, or proof of income or anything when you go to see the apartment… I’ve never had to do this, but I know you need to in big US cities like New York.  I don’t want to get there an not have what I need.

I’d love any advice people might give.
Thanks so much!
HeidiTC

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:48 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

will Mac will fill you in later as he doing the same aswell but in Magala area .....

Posted: 03 June 2009 12:03 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hello Heidi…

Theres plenty of Rental websites in and around Granada… were in Granada you want to move too?...

Check this out….

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/4988/

Posted: 03 June 2009 12:09 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-05-18

Hi Mac31,
I’m hoping to move to the Centro or Realejo regions.  I’ve been using a lot of the websites (segundamano, enaquliar, etc.).  But I can’t tell which apartments I have to pay an agency fee for.  And I don’t understand what you’re paying for when you pay the agency fee, if all they’re doing is showing you one apartment (not helping you find others, etc.).  And if you do use an agency, do they set up appointments with a number of different apartments?
I can’t afford to pay an extra month’s rent, but I don’t know how to find apartments without doing so….
Thanks so much - I’m leaving on Monday to find places, so I’m trying to set up appointments, and feeling a bit panicked!
HeidiTC

Posted: 03 June 2009 12:14 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi Heidi…

You will pay some sort of fee at the moment if you go directly through a landlord most make you pay Solicitors Charges (some landlords do this Not all)

If you PM me some of the propertys you like I can tell you weather yes or no charges or non charges…

Mac