Moving from Gran Canaria to La Manga
Posted: 13 June 2009 08:21 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-06-13

Hi,

My partner and I have been living in Gran Canaria for 10 years, so if anyone is looking for information about anything Canary related, feel free to ask!

We are moving to La Manga at the beginning of September. We have accommodation there (a friend has offered us his house for a year so we can save up some money). I’ve been to Madrid and Alicante but not Murc?a so it’s all going to be new to me. We will have the opportunity to save some money, since it isn’t possible here with the property prices and rental prices being so high and the wages so low.

I work as a freelance writer via the internet so my partner will be looking for work (he’s a scuba instructor but speaks 7 languages and would consider anything). Is it busy there right now? I know we are moving in off peak season but Spanish is one of his languages so he isn’t restricted to English only.

We are planning to rent a van (if any of the car rental companies ever reply!) one way and take our stuff plus 2 cats on the ferry. Alternatively we could fly with the cats and ship our stuff but that is more expensive.

Anyway, if anyone can let me know what La Manga is like right now, it would be appreciated. My partner used to live there 20 years ago so I guess it’s changed a lot!

In return, if anyone is thinking about moving to Gran Canaria I can answer any questions (well, some questions) and yes, it is VERY quiet here right now - the quietest I’ve seen it in 10 years. The property here is very expensive and a lot of people are out of work or not getting paid (businesses closing down).

This is my first post on here so I just wanted to say hello to everyone really and see if anyone has any advice about where we’re going or questions about where we’re leaving.

Thanks,

Victoria 😊

Posted: 13 June 2009 09:04 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

welcome Victoria to the fourm .

jurdy

up in elche up the road

Posted: 13 June 2009 09:18 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-06-13

Thanks Jurdy 😊

Posted: 13 June 2009 09:21 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

no problem .

Posted: 10 July 2009 03:51 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-06-13

Do you know of any van rental companies hiring vans from Gran Canaria to Spain one way? I found a couple and emailed them but they don’t want to do one way hire. We can’t afford to buy one.

Also, has anyone used the Transmediteranea ferries? It’s a two day trip and I’m not worried about myself as much as the cats, one of whom is very nervous. Flying and sending our stuff works out much more expensive than taking the whole lot in one van ourselves.

We have the accommodation/jobs sorted out, it’s just the “getting over there” part which is a headache!!