Moving to Moron de la Frontera—-worried and full of questions!
Posted: 14 June 2009 11:21 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-06-14

Hi!!!! I just posted this on a previous blog but I was worried no one would see it so I copied it here (sorry for the repetition).
I just graduated from college in the US and am moving to Spain for a year to teach English.  My program just sent me an email saying that I?ve been placed in Moron de la frontera where I will be teaching at an elementary school.  I was initially very disappointed as I had hoped to be placed within a bigger city, however the more I?ve been reading about Moron, the nicer it sounds.  I?m sorry for all the questions, I would really just love to hear any comments/advice/info you may have for me!!!!

-I read a post saying that Moron itself was fairly safe yet boring while Sevilla is fun yet dangerous???

-How expensive is transportation to Sevilla? 

-Should I expect cafes with Wifi and other amenities in Moron or will I have to schlep to Sevilla for that? 

-Is there a considerable population of young people there or is it mostly older families? 

My program told me that they will offer some help apartment hunting when I get there but a lot of it I will have to do on my own—how hard will this be in such a remote place?  Are there ways of finding roommates (preferably a local so I won?t be tempted to speak English!)? 

Finally, is there any Jewish population in Moron?  Based on my online searches it seemed like there are no Jews in Moron and I found only one synagogue in Sevilla (and it?s orthodox!). 

Muchisimas gracias, les doy un besito!

Posted: 15 June 2009 01:37 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Hi, sorry I’m not an expert on Moron but I wanted to make a couple of comments.
i) Where do you get this thing about Seville being dangerous?  There is crime in any big city but Seville is no worse than other places and considerably safer than most of the US.
ii) There are lots of internet cafes in Spain, and in Andalucia there is free access at most libraries and town halls in small communities through the local government Guadalinfo scheme.  The opening hours can be inconvenient but some have wifi covering the whole neighbourhood - once you get the password you can sit in the open air and use your laptop.
ii) There isn’t a very big Jewish community anywhere in Spain due to the expulsion in the 15th century.  Of course there are small communities here and there, but that’s it.
Good luck.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 June 2009 10:00 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-06-14

Thanks.  If anyone else could offer up some more information I’d greatly appreciate it.
-S

Posted: 16 June 2009 05:23 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

According to the Rough Guide to Spain there are only three synagogues in the whole of Spain; the one in Seville and the other two are in Toledo I think…

Insofar as Moron itself is concerned there should be a fairly healthy American expat population that you can quiz about accommodation and life in general. This is due to the long standing presence of a huge American Air Force Base at Moron; it would appear that may ex-service people like the area so much they elected to stay and continue to do so.

You should be aware that the area you are moving to is very warm…typically between between now and September the average daily temp is around 33C to 39C and peaks out around 42/43C that well over 100F.

See if you can get hold of a copy of “The Rough Guide to Spain” and give it a good read.

Another good book to living in Spain is “Living and Working in Spain” by David Hampshire; it is republished every year and each reprint is updated; I think the latest version is Edition No.8.

There is little to fear or worry about in living in Spain; things take an age to organise and bureaucracy is a bit of a problem, especially for a non-EU incomer.

Relax and enjoy the experience…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 17 June 2009 09:36 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I’d highly suggest our article on the Jewish side of Spain as well…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 17 June 2009 09:49 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-06-14

Thank you all so much, this has been really helpful.  Also, if someone else knows any more information about Moron, I’d love to hear it.  Thanks again—this website is saving my life!
-S

Posted: 20 June 2009 03:37 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

This site is fantastic like that! 

Very best of luck to you,

Maya

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com