Reclaiming your overpaid property tax
Posted: 22 May 2009 12:46 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-05-05

Despite living in Malaga for almost 3 years now, I have only just realised that I am entitled to reclaim the capital gains tax I paid in March 2006.

I will not got any money back for at least 18 months ( the joys of Spainish legal system !) but I expect to get back over 25k euros. - which will come in most handy.

I wanted to post this mainly in the hope that someone (s) are made aware of their right to reclaim - assuming you overapid at 35 %.

Basically, I lived in England at the time I sold my property near Malaga, and I paid tax on the “profit ” at 35 %.

I should have paid only 15 % - as all Europeans are now entitled to do.

I searched for various lawyers who would work on a no win no fee basis, and found 1 charging 35 %.

However I have appointed a lawyer - very good english on a no win fee, and IF (they assure me, WHEN) they r successful I pay them 30 % of my total reclaimed money.

I used the following link http://www.reclaimspanishpropertytax.co.uk to complete my forms.

It took about 5 minutes to complete ( and another 5 days to find my Modelo form, in my “filing system”)

I sent off forms, recieved a contract with the lawyers, and now I await payment.

The other reason for posting this message is that I am new to blogging / chat rooms - and I figured for the moment, this was my most exciting news - sad I know, but you have got to start somewhere.

It would be nice to hear from someone, even if its about the joys of telefonica etc.

Regards - Greg

Posted: 22 May 2009 02:02 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi Greg..

Welcome to the forum… The website you have posted is Spam and website is registered in France also not known to Mcafee…

Thanks for trying…

Please read Rules HERE!

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/5044/

Posted: 17 June 2009 06:13 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-05-05

I thought I knew what spam is - unsolicited email ? And Im not trying to be clever, but I dont see how this can be SPAM, or against the rules / principles of this site ?

I dont know where the website is hosted, but the company I dealt with by telephone + fax were based in England.

I have signed up with a Spanish law firm, as recomended by this website, and they are progressing my claim.

There was no catch, and I recomended them as i genuinelly believe in them.

Sorry if this is agaist the rules, and I will not recommend / mention any other companies / services if this is not wanted.

Posted: 05 July 2009 04:28 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2007-03-07

Hi Greg,

Congratulations on spotting that you are entitled to a refund.  Expatriator, We have to follow the rules regarding spam but I would like to comment on this tax situation.

The ability to reclaim tax is available to people who were non residents when they sold their property but who were also EU nationals.  It is estimated that over the 5 year period covered by the Valencia court ruling that there could be approaching 600,000 people who are entitled to a refund.  It is therefore a very big issue.

If people are interested in further information there are more details available at this page Spanish Tax Reclaim
  This site is based in the UK and I am a regulated financial adviser based in Spain.  I hope that this link does not break any of our site rules but is useful to people.

Signature 

Barry Davys MBA Dip PFS
Spectrum IFA Group

Tel:  00 34 645 257 525
Email:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
QROPS Advice

Posted: 05 July 2009 08:12 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I don’t want to get caught up in a Spam debate as I am not a moderator -

just wanted to say the tax rate for all is now 18% and not 15% - the residents lost out by having their original rate increased from 15% to 18% when it was standardised.

I also thought there was a time limit to lodge a claim but I could be wrong…...

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 05 July 2009 08:38 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2007-03-07

Rob,

Glad to see that you are on the ball with this subject.  One of the reasons why it is worthwhile highlighting the issue is because there is a time limit on making claims.  Perhaps it needs a good writer to explain the situation properly.  I will be in touch via your own site.

Regards

Signature 

Barry Davys MBA Dip PFS
Spectrum IFA Group

Tel:  00 34 645 257 525
Email:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
QROPS Advice

Posted: 05 July 2009 11:22 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Barry, your link points to your admin backend. you should definitely correct that link before you attract hackers (besides that we can’t see what you were receding to).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.