Telefonica ADSL + Phone ringing = No Internet.
Posted: 01 July 2009 02:46 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-01

Hi Guys, Girls and fellow Expats,

I have the following problem, and hope that someone could help me.
We own a house close to Reus (about an hour south from Barcelona), right by the coast - and have always had a analogue phone line. A few months back we finally managed to get ADSL from telefonica, which was quite a hassle.

So we have the wireless + 4 port router from telefonica, and a Gigaset A2 from Siemens.

It is very slow, I guess due to the old lines we got here. The telephone connection is also very bad: there is a loud and constant buzzing during phone calls in the background.

The real problem is: once the phone rings and/or (does not matter) is picked up, the internet connection dies right away, and takes a few minutes after the ringing or phone call is done, to get back.  As it is ADSL, it should be digital right? Allowing phone and internet to take place both simultaneously? One thing I did notice is, that the PPP light on the model seems to start to blink when the phone rings/is answered.

I don’t know if it is because of the old phone lines, our location, etc, or another problem? Could the Gigaset A2 from Siemens be interfering with the wireless, and cause the buzzing and internet drops? Or does the old line here just support either internet or phone?

Any idea would be much appreciated!

Regards,

T

Posted: 01 July 2009 05:03 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi,

I am no expert but the one thing that comes to mind immediately is this; is there a microfilter in the phone line?

The cable from the telephone junction box on the wall should be hard wired to a splitter. One output from the splitter should go direct to the router, the other output should be routed via a microfilter to the telephone.

Alternatively, if the computer and telephone are co- located, the splitter can be connected directly to the wall socket with one output from the splitter direct to the router and the other to the phone again via a microfilter.

If there is a microfilter fitted I would suggest that in the first instance you replace it. Replacement items are available from Telefonica shops and are not expensive.

Don’t be tempted to use a UK type microfilter; they are not compatible with the Spanish telephone system.

Buzzing on the phone line with a wireless handset such as yours is not uncommon and can be due to numerous sources not the least of which is the computer when it is running…but it can also be caused by other electrical items in the house; fans, aircon, strip lights etc.,

Hope this helps…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 01 July 2009 05:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi again…
Another thought; do you actually need to use the wireless facility for your computer?
If not turn off the wireless connection and use a wired connection from the router to the computer.
It is far more secure than an open wireless connection, especially if the wireless system is un-encrypted, and will stop other people piggy-backing onto your ADSL connection.

Your installation should look like this…
http://www.telefonica.es/on/io/es/atencion/soporte_tecnico_y_averias/internet/adsl/modems/inalambricos/xavi_7968/Guia_en_installation_guide_xavi_7968r.pdf

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 01 July 2009 08:24 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-08-12

This is 99% certainly a micro-filter problem. Though it may be that you have a phone somewhere that has not got one. You need a filter on ALL phones not just the one with the router on. On the other phones you would just use the “phone” port.

Hope this helps

John

Posted: 06 July 2009 06:06 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Dont you just hate it when people come onto forums like this ask a question and then b****r off never to be heard of again….

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 06 July 2009 01:32 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-01

Hey,

I was traveling till this morning 😊

Thanks a lot foxbat and scubakid. The microfilter was in deed missing at the phone. So much for having a telefonica technician come and set it up properly…

I did go and buy a few microfilters, and placed one between the phone and the switch/extension plug. The problem has gotten quite better… however it is different now: Throughout a lot of calls the internet still works, but at some calls it is gone. Weird..

Thanks a lot again for your fast help guys.

Have a great day,

T

Posted: 06 July 2009 03:17 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi Timo…

I live in Salou (Well Moving from Salou After 3 years being here)

Your problem sounds very very classic in our Area…

If you look at the Router Does the ADSL light sometimes flicker on and off and not stay solid???

As Reus Salou Cambrills has issues with Distance from the Exchange… the Engineers know this only will tell you after the 90th visit….

Good luck… I received all my monies back from Telefonica with the Threat of Court Action…

They take your money but will not give you the service you paid for…. also Telefonica are running on a 50 year old copper cable system that needs replacing…  (Has been Mentioned many times with EURO Comission But Telefonica Couldnt give a Shite.)

Mac

Posted: 06 July 2009 08:36 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

lads been watching what you all say and mac coppers one best for DSL .  the problem as Mac has say end his post that dont give Sh1te

but problem is that to many in the system that have and there useing PLUG ADAPTER now so few on one input to the connection and sharing of the ADSL service with a group of people ( this is fine but 24 per Dsl , now its 48 wich is going on . some dsl equipment is more then 6 km - 12 km away from you and is been boosted ,

where are you and fine out where you dsl exchange equipment is

h
jurdy

Posted: 11 July 2009 05:42 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
Timo - 01 July 2009 02:46 PM

The real problem is: once the phone rings and/or (does not matter) is picked up, the internet connection dies right away

Aside of your bad land line - must get fixed, I think I may know your problem.

What GHz is the land line phone / cordless ?

If it is a 2.4GHz model it will cancel out your WiFi signal / same band when used.
Nip out and buy a 5.8GHz phone, not only will it solve WiFi interruptions but will give you a longer distance from the base.

DSB.