Question about the jobs market
Posted: 07 July 2009 04:15 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-07-07

Hello all

I am considering moving to Barcelona in two months. I understand this is not the ideal time to move to Barcelona - many students looking for an apartment, and not many jobs - but I think it’s worth the risk as I have a bit of savings so can survive unemployed for at least 12 months.

I am from the EU. My Spanish is basic.

This is my question:

When people say “there are no jobs in Barcelona” are they talking about every sort of job, or just the typical bar tender/waiter/cafe sort of jobs?

I have a masters in computing, and a lot of IT experience, so I will probably try to get an IT job (there appear to be a few IT jobs for English speakers), but I’m willing to do anything - whether this is work in a shop or for Avis or whatever.

So, when people talk about the job market being dead, are they referring to every sort of job? Even Avis?

Thanks for reading.

Steve

Posted: 07 July 2009 04:36 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi Steve

Welcome to the Forum…

I have a Masters in Computer Science with 15 Years of “Blue Chip Company” Experience…

The above does not mean it gets you a job here in Spain there is Spaniards that has more Masters and Degrees and etc (Spanish Most Educated in the EU)

Spain is Dry at the moment with Jobs… However Gibraltar might be an eye opener if your up for that part… As that?s were most of the Spanish & Expats are at this moment as that?s the place for Jobs…

With your savings will not last long unless you?re speaking a lot of money

Central Barcelona is around ?1500 a month. Plus living.

I posted 2 months ago Job Websites in the forum take a look there?s plenty of sites for searching.

Regards Mac

Posted: 07 July 2009 04:40 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

job market is low here with IT been dead , lots people lot go last Mach - May there,  ING bank do big lay off , Mac fill in on that
As in bar jobs get there befor the students do and many get a job , Spanish is must thee , start learning fast . tve via sky 795 (pay channel )
looking for an apartment , sould real have problem as college number are going to be down this sept coming , as room in shared apartment sould have no problem but not cheap
Dublin and Barcelona are the same for rent and like Dublin 2 are 1 you pay for it

jurdy

Posted: 07 July 2009 04:44 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-07-07

Thanks for the reply.

We all have different definitions of “a lot of money” but going by my own definition I should be fine! 😊

Is the job market really that dead? I am seeing plenty of (non-agency) IT jobs advertised in Barcelona.

Would it be worth my while getting TEFL certified as a fall back plan?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Posted: 07 July 2009 04:53 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

Go for it if its there but the money they offer is not what your going to get on Interview…

I am now working In Gibraltar Been Ofered a job there.

I will offer you advise about jobs Theres a lot of Cowboys out there that will sing and dance that the company is great etc..

But watch out as there fly by night companies… I got stung recently in Malaga and never again!

Do your home work on companys… Before the Interviews.

I do wish you a lot of luck Spain for me Is nice and relaxing but can be a living nightmare when things do not go to plan..

Good Luck.

Posted: 07 July 2009 04:58 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-07-07

Thanks for the advice, I will take it on board.

I’ll post back with my lack of success or, hopefully, success. 😊

Cheers.

Posted: 07 July 2009 05:15 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

I am positive it will be a Success 😊

Good luck let us know !

Posted: 07 July 2009 05:17 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19
DublinSteve - 07 July 2009 04:58 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will take it on board.

I’ll post back with my lack of success or, hopefully, success. 😊

Cheers.

keep us update and any help we give to you pm in you mail here for you