US Citizen to wed Spanish Citizen
Posted: 09 July 2009 11:20 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-09

Hello I am so glad to have found your site… I hope you can help me. I am a US citizen living in madrid and have submitted all the paperwork to marry my spanish partner, we are now waiting for the aproval to marry. Once we marry what do I have to do to request NIE. In the process of waiting for paperwork my tourist visa has expired…what can I do?
Thanks for any help

Posted: 09 July 2009 01:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-05-05

Hello and congratulations 😊

Well once you get married you need to get an appointment from ‘Subdelegacion del Gobierno’ which is going to be correspondent to your marriage. You need to ask what kind of documents you need to hand. Because it changes according to each province. When you get there with required papers (with your husband) they just input all of the information about you and immediately they give you the NIE number.

Posted: 09 July 2009 05:55 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

When did your Visa expire.

It could be an issue as you technically may have to leave Spain and return once the paper work has been processed, you maybe should have dealt with it before your visa expired as it could be interpreted as you are trying to stay in Spain illegally and marrying for that reason.

Maybe worth checking out, the longer you leave it the less favorable it will look for you and your application.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 10 July 2009 12:40 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-05-05

As far as I know once you have submitted all the paperwork, you are no longer considered as an illegal. I have read it from the experience of a couple on the net (they told they asked a lawyer).

Posted: 10 July 2009 12:17 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-09

Thank you for all your support. Mi visa expired 6 weeks ago but when we submitted all the paperwork it was valid. Also I am “Padronado” in Madrid since January 2008
😊