move to spain
Posted: 22 July 2009 04:18 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-07-22

me and my partner have just decidedwe would like to move to spain we are both very young with my partner being the oldest at nearly 22 years old and we have a 10 month old baby.
we were just wondering how you all went about moving to spain as it seems impossible to us at the minute and how much mney roughly would we need behind us?

please reply ASAP thank you xxx

Posted: 22 July 2009 05:44 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Depends on soooooo many factures.

I transfered my job from UK company into the Spanish branch.

So i arrived with Job, a Spanish wife with family in Spain already and children.

Total disaster too complicated and boring to re write, so look up my posts via my profile.

I would only recommend you moving if you either have a job to go too or at least enough money to finance your family for at least a year plus extra for emergencies.

How much depends on where your gonna move.

In Malaga,

We paid around 500 euros a month rent, food and goin out around another 500 Euros a month, bills etc around another 300 euros.

Problem with Spain though is in the Malaga region which we moved to average income for a Spaniard is around 800 Euros a month.

So you`ll likely need 2 incomes to live a moderate lifestyle, Spain being an out door culture is easy to over spend on beers and eating out etc etc. Its not got much to offer in most Costa`s if you don`t, walkin every evening is great for the first few months, it soon gets boring, so does the beach.

So you`ll need to bring around 20,000 Euros at least savings.

Jobs are an issue in Spain, even pre crisis many returned after a year or two, blaming either financial reasons or they just got fed up with the lifestyle change.

Spain is a qwirky place, it doesn`t factor into many peoples thoughts before they move, but it can be a major factor in many people getting frustrated.

My OH almost needed medical treatment for hysteria everytime she ventured into a bank or supermarket in the mornings.

At least in Southern Spain you soon learn that if that day you needed to get 5 things done, accept that at least 3 wouldn`t and if you got one thing done it was an acheivement.

And waiting for an hour to be served in the bank wasn`t an issue as your next destination you`d already reserved your place in the cue whilst you were waiting in the bank.😉

So i`d recommend if you can living in a Spanish town for a month, not a holiday place, but try renting in a town away from Expats for a month, you may save yourselve some hassle, you`ll learn something of the culture and be in a better position to judge if Spain is a place you could settle into.

Some expats manage, I dont no why, but they manage to fall in love with Spain on holiday and be happy living there.

Most though find that the lover (Spain) they had on holiday still snores and has as many bad habits has there partner (Home Country) and the romance simply fades into the sun set.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

‹‹ Inform me      Move to Barcelona or Madrid..? ››