Street map of Barcelona area that shows Pedralbes?
Posted: 28 July 2009 04:29 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

I’m planning to study in Barcelona next year, and am looking for a good map to familiarize myself with the area before I go. I have some tourist maps (of the Lonely Planet/EyeWitness variety, from the library) but they all tend to cut off just WEST* of Eixample.

The school is in the “University District” in Pedralbes, which is not on any of the maps that I have! I’d like to choose an area to live that’s in close proximity to the school… so I really need a better map!

I am searching on Amazon.com and other map-selling Web sites… and there are plenty of Barcelona maps, but they offer little description. So there’s no way to know if any of them offer a street-level view of the area just WEST of Barcelona.  I was wondering if anyone has a good map recommendation?

Thank you!

(* oops I had said “north” before! It’s kind of Northwest I think.. )

Posted: 29 July 2009 12:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-01-24

Sally,

I have lived in Castelldefels, one of the Barcelona suburbs, for 16 years.  I am currently using the Michelin fold-out street map of Barcelona, which you can find on Amazon:  “Michelin Barcelona Street Map (Michelin Map) by Michelin Travel Publications (Paperback - Jul 15, 2007) - Folded Map”  It is up to date and definitely includes the Pedralbes and University areas off of Avenida Diagonal. 

Good luck with your studies.

Posted: 29 July 2009 06:43 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

Excellent! Thank you!  I am sure there are many such maps, but wanted to make sure I didn’t buy the wrong one! After I posted this a friend of mine said “why don’t you just go to a book store and look at the different maps?”
It’s funny that that didn’t even cross my mind!  I guess sometimes buying online isn’t the best option 😛 I’m just so used to it. But, if I don’t make it out to a book store I’ll go ahead and buy the Michelin one on Amazon! Thanks again!

Posted: 29 July 2009 08:19 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

I take it you’re sitting in front of a computer?  Try google maps, mapquest, repsol rutas etc. etc.  Line 3 on the metro, by the way.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 July 2009 01:12 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

yes, I’ve looked at google maps. I just wanted an old fashioned paper one. I like being able to spread it out on the table and look at the whole thing at once in detail, puts things in perspective for me.  Plus, paper maps tend to have a lot more landmarks and things, as well as barrios, labeled. While Google does not do such a good job of that.

I have actually found some digital maps online that do have better labeling, but you can still only see a small square at a time.