Moving to Marbella within a month
Posted: 05 August 2009 12:54 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-07-23

Hi guys,

I have just accepted a new position in Marbella and I will be moving out in about 2 - 3 weeks from the UK. I am currently in the process of raising as much money as possible for the move and this has left me with little time to do anything else.
I have already spoken to a guy that was recommended to me for long term property rental but I have no knowledge in terms of things like visas, bank accounts, tax etc.
Any advice would really be appreciated as I am on such a short time frame.

Many thanks

Posted: 05 August 2009 01:22 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

If your a EU passport holder you don`t need a Visa.

Banks are same as the UK, you go in ask to open a new account, take NIE, passport and proof of address.

When you arrive in Marbella go to the National Police and apply for NIE, you`ll need the form, passport and photo`s. Your next stop would be Seguridad Social office and they give you a form to fill out, you hand it back along with your contract of employment and employers details, your then registered for Health, you wont need your NIE.

I did SS first, i arrived Malaga in the Am and registered that day.

My employers took me to the National Police the day I started, they then took me to the bank, I was able to open an account with my contract of employment and Seguridad Social form, they recieved my NIE later.

Tax was sorted through my company Paye scheme, its around the same as the UK, no huge supprises there.

The monthly wage was the big surprise, it was far less than they stated in writting. And that was an international comapany I`d worked for in the UK for many years.

So I left after a 1yr.

So be careful with any offers, I`ve come accross a few Expats in Malaga who didn`t get what they were informed of before the move.

The Spanish company also only gave me a month too finish in the UK settle in Spain and start work. One thing I regretted was not leaving everything in tact in the UK for a few months after arriving in Spain, if we had, I would have been on the next flight back to the UK.

I`m not trying to be negative, just pointing out my mistake, we ran too much too quickly and wasn`t prepared for the suprise in Spain.

In reflection thats one of the main things we would have done differently, I would have worked for a few months in Spain before moving to Spain, especially Malaga region, it has many differences to the UK and the rest of Spain.

Anyway good luck.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 05 August 2009 10:21 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-07-23

Thank you so much, that is really helpful.
Also I would like to know if my UK credit history follows me to Spain and will affect my ability to get different types of bank accounts?

If anyone could answer that one it would take a great weight from my shoulders.

Chris

Posted: 06 August 2009 02:07 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
ChrisHales - 05 August 2009 10:21 PM

Thank you so much, that is really helpful.
Also I would like to know if my UK credit history follows me to Spain and will affect my ability to get different types of bank accounts?

If anyone could answer that one it would take a great weight from my shoulders.

Chris

Yes.

Experian has offices in Spain.

It has always been difficult obtaining credit unless you had sufficient funds or security. Some people stated you just needed a Passport and a pulse, for mortgages that was probably true, but for small unsecured loans to buy say a car, most Expats found it extremely difficult without a Spaniard signing a guarantee.

Now with Banks lending is more restricted, if you were employed your contract was sufficent as long as it was Fijo.

Now with defaults, Spanish banks use the same credit agencies used in the UK, so any CCJ`s etc will be registered and available to Spanish Banks.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 06 August 2009 02:33 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12
Santi - 06 August 2009 02:07 AM
ChrisHales - 05 August 2009 10:21 PM

Yes.
Experian has offices in Spain.
It has always been difficult obtaining credit unless you had sufficient funds or security. Some people stated you just needed a Passport and a pulse, for mortgages that was probably true, but for small unsecured loans to buy say a car, most Expats found it extremely difficult without a Spaniard signing a guarantee.
Now with Banks lending is more restricted, if you were employed your contract was sufficent as long as it was Fijo.
Now with defaults, Spanish banks use the same credit agencies used in the UK, so any CCJ`s etc will be registered and available to Spanish Banks.

Ignore the Above its a load of BS.. Sorry Santi… No the Credit File does not follow you to Spain from England as Its still Illegal to do so… In 2010 is when it does come into EU Law with The New Credit Agencies Agreement Law to be Finalised in The Next Session of EU Parliment… (If It Gets Agreed)

Example My Neighbours when I was living in Salou (Early July This Year) Ran from England etc Due to Credit crunch… They left the keys with a bank Maxed out there cards (Draw money on them) moved here and now they have Bank loan and Applying for a mortgage which is going through…

Also Hence why no bank asks if your previous address… They only ask what address is on your NIE Green Paper…

Some banks will wait 3 to 6 months before they lend or give you a credit card… As CCJ Uk Does not rule in Spain as there is no legal system to match….

Its like UK Driving Licence you get a fine but you cant be issued with points… or If you have points on you UK Licence and swap it for a Spanish Licence all your points go as the laws are different

Again Sorry Santi best get your facts right!

Posted: 10 August 2009 12:48 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
MAC31 - 06 August 2009 02:33 AM

Ignore the Above its a load of BS.. Sorry Santi… No the Credit File does not follow you to Spain from England as Its still Illegal to do so… In 2010 is when it does come into EU Law with The New Credit Agencies Agreement Law to be Finalised in The Next Session of EU Parliment… (If It Gets Agreed)

The rules I`m afraid changed on the 27th of July 2009.

The EU adopted regulation (3642/09), this introduces new rules allowing cross border information through the agencies.

The EU stated;

“The European Council said that the regulation “establishes a common framework for measures adopted at national level, in order to ensure the smooth functioning of the EU’s internal market with comparable levels of investor and consumer protection from one member state to another”.

I read them a few days before writting. They`ve been in the planing for sometime.

You may want to read this, it explains the new rules and you`ll also note on one paragraph which states

Currently, credit rating agencies are only to a limited extent subject to EU legislation and most member states do not regulate their activities, although their ratings are used by financial institutions which themselves are subject to EU rules.

The agencies, most of which have their headquarters outside the EU, may however apply a voluntary code of conduct issued by the International Organisation of Securities Commissions.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_Data/docs/pressdata/en/misc/109349.pdf

http://sofiaecho.com/2009/07/27/761772_european-council-approves-package-of-new-credit-rating-bank-rules

http://english.capital.gr/News.asp?id=783265

So I`m not wrong, your credit rating will follow you.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2009 04:17 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
Santi - 10 August 2009 12:48 AM
MAC31 - 06 August 2009 02:33 AM

The rules I`m afraid changed on the 27th of July 2009.

The EU adopted regulation (3642/09), this introduces new rules allowing cross border information through the agencies.

The EU stated;

“The European Council said that the regulation “establishes a common framework for measures adopted at national level, in order to ensure the smooth functioning of the EU’s internal market with comparable levels of investor and consumer protection from one member state to another”.

I read them a few days before writting. They`ve been in the planing for sometime.

You may want to read this, it explains the new rules and you`ll also note on one paragraph which states

Currently, credit rating agencies are only to a limited extent subject to EU legislation and most member states do not regulate their activities, although their ratings are used by financial institutions which themselves are subject to EU rules.

The agencies, most of which have their headquarters outside the EU, may however apply a voluntary code of conduct issued by the International Organisation of Securities Commissions.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_Data/docs/pressdata/en/misc/109349.pdf

http://sofiaecho.com/2009/07/27/761772_european-council-approves-package-of-new-credit-rating-bank-rules

http://english.capital.gr/News.asp?id=783265

So I`m not wrong, your credit rating will follow you.

Take my previous comments back…

This law was not ment to come in for a while… G20 UK Meeting back in April where the above was discussed (Credit Agencies) this was ment to take sometime to be ok’d… Guess not….

What I have read is more of an Access thing if the Banks want to make further checks they can…

As Always Rules will be made to be broken So I guess see how long the above rule holds…

This will be the big thing now for Expats trying to escape from there Money Problems to another country to start again….

“Swings and Roundabouts”

Posted: 10 August 2009 01:19 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23

Spanish banks always checked with reference agencies when an immigrant wanted credit, they didn`t care about the rules.

What you see on a credit report and what the banks see are different in there detail.

It depended on the amount borrowed and security.

Small loans usually not, but anything above a certain rate, they would search them.

I found out as my OH best friends brother is a lawyer for BBVA in Madrid and I asked a few questions a while back.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2009 03:00 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2008-03-19

ps. It’s pretty difficult to get a mortgage or a loan at the moment, whoever you are…unless you’re happy with an APR of around 17%......

Posted: 10 August 2009 04:10 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23

Friends of ours have a 35 yr mortgage on there home, they got it pre crisis and now there struggling with the 1400 Euros a month repayments.

They`ll be 75 yrs old when the mortgage is finished, now I`m no Banker, but there should be warning signs preventing this kinda lending.

But the banks don`t care and they had no option, being Spanish the concept of not owning there own property doesn`t enter there minds.

Had an E-Mail yesterday that another friend of ours has lost his job, he`s been an electrician for 15 yrs in Malaga.His wife now has two part time jobs to help keep them goin.

Thats around 8 Spanish friends now out of work.

I fear more will suffer, but at least it`ll hopefully prevent others getting in far too much debt in the future.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2009 07:45 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

Well We all know that Spains Banks has more Property and Cars now then ever before…

Some Interesting Data So Far….

Expats That Left or Run Away 52% (These People either Sold Or Handed Back the Keys Or Got Repo’d)
Expats Out Of Work 38%
Expats That Are Homeless In Spains Streets 12%

This is Expats World Wide not Just UK ( Data From CNN+ Spain)....

We all know whats going to happen after holiday season the people that are working temp will be unemployed and the figure from 3.7 million will be well over 5 million…..

The Thing is With the G20 and G8 Meetings ( And All Other Financial World Meetings) there willing to pay in Shite loads of cash thinking it be ok lets print more money? However when it comes to crunch I hope they realise the money there pumping in Is The Peoples Tax Money But if lots of People are Unemployed When will the cash run out?

I predict another crash A big one and banks and business leaders of the world tend to agree as there is less Jobs Less Competition (Company Buy outs etc) less Investment lets face it The Governments of US and EU have payed out a Shite load of bail out money and no private investments comming in!

Just a opinion of mine personally sorry for going off Topic…

Anyway I think Life in Spain or anywhere for that matter is what you make it you just roll with it as unfortunatly there are MANY MANY people worse off then us.. etc..

Posted: 11 August 2009 05:04 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23

Had to laugh last week the Bank of England pumped another 50 Billion into the system.

The expert being interviewed admitted the govt have no idea where the money has gone so far and what this will create in the future.

I`m no expert, but if the govt wants to boost the economy they should have given every person over the age of 21 a couple of Grand.

People would have bought, probably unwisely, but many would have used the cash for bills, overdrafts and loans.

This would have done a quicker job than giving it to a money lossing banking system.

But then again everyday that passes I`m more convinced this is part of a New World Order.

Bring on 2012 when were all gonna get ****** up.

Signature 

Posted: 11 August 2009 05:55 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

your so right though… What gets me is that We need assets to back the money were pumping in Correct?

Example America at the moment are making so much money I wonder if they have enough assets to cover there spending and Borrowing… As for the UK I am surprised if we have no serpassed our assets?

With Chiniese now asking questions about the US assets (As China has lent the US SHITE loads of Dollars) what happens if they fall short?

Just a thought….