Schools!
Posted: 23 September 2009 02:15 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-09-21

Can anyone tell me about the schools in Spain, how do they work? I heard some you pay for and some you just pay for books etc.
Moving to Spain is just something we are considering at the moment, and my main worry is schools. My kids are 10 and 3. I know my 3 year old should settle in fine but I am worried about my 10 year old as he is a bit behind at school and has problems concentrating.

Posted: 27 September 2009 03:22 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-01-17

Hi, You pay for all books in Spain, whether private or state school. There are free Spanish stateschools, Spanish private schools where fees are not too bad as they are suubsidised by the government, and Private International schools, following the UK system ie IGCSE and A Levels. Also Finish, Swedish and German private shools. International fees can be very expensive, though less expensive than the UK. approx 2,500 euros a term for a 4 year old to 14,000 a term for a 16 year old. It depends which part of Spain you are moving too, I have lived on the Costa Del Sol for 25 years, near Marbella, my children have now grown up but we have a lot of good Spanish and International schools in this area. When I first came to Spain there were hardly any foreigners in the Spanish schools so I opted for International schools. Feel free to contact me shpoild you require further information

Posted: 27 September 2009 03:32 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-09-21

Hi, thanks for your reply. I take it you enjoy living in Spain as you have lived there that long. I have seen quite a few negative comments on the forum about living in Spain.
At the moment its just an idea for us. We have no idea where we’d want to go. We are looking at the Costa Blanca os Costa Brava area. We would probably rent somewhere till we decided if we wanted to be there permanently.
Would you say its a better place to bring up kids, as thats my main concern.

Posted: 30 September 2009 02:46 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-01-17

Spain is a much, much better place to bring up kids but not as good as it was 25 years ago when they were 100% safe, now not quite so good but a million times better than the U.K. I should think. They have quite a lot of freedom and of course the weather to enjoy. The downside, they have 12 weeks school holiday in the summer, and Spanish state schools finish at 2 pm ! I don’t know the Costa Brava, believe it’s less built up, I have been to the Alicante area, that’s quite nice, little less expensive than here. We live in Elviria, which is really nice, not built up, loads of trees and good beaches, we are less than 10mins from Marbella, which despite what people think is a really pretty, smart Spanish town. The problem at the moment being here is now the property ‘bubble’ has burst, no work, lots of people have returned to their home countries, still, when the housing market improves in the U.K. I think it will start improving here. I suggest you rent somewhere first to get the feel of a place. Though there are some bargains at the moment. There are some newspapers online. Sur in English, which is for the Malaga province, and The Euro weekly, which has a Costa Blanca adition.
Regards Jenny

Posted: 08 October 2009 12:35 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

Our kids are similar age to yours - 4 and nearly 10 - and have loved living on the costa blanca for about 9 months now.  They’re both in international schooling, which worked well for us, and they really thrive on the outdoor lifestyle and community here.  Good luck with your move, if you can make it work it will be great for your kids.

Maya

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 26 May 2010 10:03 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-05-25

hi Kirsty77,

I hope by now you’ve found a good option for your children in Spain. I just wanted to let you know that there are some new options now available. International schools can restrict the location you want to live in and Spanish school aren’t always suitable for all expat students, especially those high flyers that need stretching and students with extra educational needs.

The Nisai Virtual Academy is a school that exists 100% in the internet. Students interact with REAL teachers and classmates and can study from years 7-13, completing GCSEs, Alevels and BTEC courses. All the support expected from a school is provided (mentors, tutors etc) and results at GCSE level are well above the UK average. The school already looks after the educational needs of over 600 students in the UK and now offers it’s tailor made educational services to students here in Spain. All that is required is a minimal internet connection and the students are ready to begin classes.

If you would like more information, just follow the links in my signature. Good luck with your new life in Spain ! Matt.

Signature 

Matt Monaghan
Nisai Virtual Academy
Coordinator Spain

Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Nisai Group
Harrow
Middlesex
HA1 1XB
Tel: 0208 424 8475

Posted: 26 May 2010 10:11 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

That’s interesting Matt.  Would this be a suitable option for parents of English kids in Spanish schools, who nevertheless wanted them to take English and Maths GCSE?  What happens about examination centres?

cheers,

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 26 May 2010 10:59 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-05-25

Hi BuenosDiasPet!

thanks for your question.

We definitely cater for those students in Spain who wish to study GCSEs, often the ‘critical’ subjects - English (Lit and Lang), Maths and Science, as well as ICT.

Spanish schools usually finish much early than UK schools, plus the hours time difference, this allows Nisai (with the teaching team based in London) to offer late afternoon classes to Spain based students. Students can pick and choose as many or as few GCSEs/Alevels as they wish and start tuition at whatever time of the year - although some start times are more optimal than others depending on the ability/needs of the student.

Nisai has an exam centre on the Costa del Sol (Sotogrande) which it uses for all examinations.

Hope that helps!

warm greets. Matt.

Signature 

Matt Monaghan
Nisai Virtual Academy
Coordinator Spain

Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Nisai Group
Harrow
Middlesex
HA1 1XB
Tel: 0208 424 8475