Rental in Andalucia
Posted: 28 September 2009 09:25 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-09-28

Hello All,

I’m moving to Spain within the next month to teach English. BIG STEP!!! I’m not sure where i’ll be placed but I know that it will be within the Andalucia region.  I’m overwhelmed with all I have to do to prepare for my expat experience and my biggest concern (at the moment) is securing housing; I’ve browsed Kyero.com but wanted to know if there are local sites I can check out for housing,
etc.

Also, i’ve come across some information on internet about the dislike and treatment of Africans in Spain.  As a young Black American woman i’m not sure how this will affect my trying to find housing, or day to day experiences.  Is there any advice that can be offered on the subject?

-Nan

Posted: 28 September 2009 11:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey Nan,
Good questions.

Regarding the apartment I would suggest you try our apartments page. There’s a ton of information and links on there (link to it in the footer of this page).

On being a black woman in Spain, I would say that you’ll indeed run into some ignorant people out there. As a white male I want to tell you that the majority of Spaniards won’t cause you any problems, but, well, my perspective isn’t that relevant nor likely to be correct. I was just asking a black American friend of mine about his experience on a recent trip to Spain (he was partying though, not apartment hunting) and he says there’s certainly something to the racism of Spaniards, but it’s very tolerable.

If you speak Spanish, tell people that you’re American right away, and smile I think you’ll do just fine. Either way it’d be great to hear about how you get on and any issues you have. Search around the forum here to find other threads about racism in Spain too. 😊

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 September 2009 05:24 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2009-01-26

Dear Nan,

In the last few days several US citizens have been into my office looking for rentals. They are all here on some scheme to learn spanish and teach english at local schools.

If you are one of them, I will assume you will be earning around 700? per month.

You will find it difficult to rent a property for yourself and survive on that money, though not impossible.

If you are one of these student/teachers I would recommend several of your renting together. a 2 bedroom property will only be slightly me expensive, but you will find it alot more manageable.

I have the details of one of the ladies who will be teaching here in Fuengirola, I can forward you details to here if your interested

Regards
Andrew

Signature 

Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol Blog

Posted: 29 September 2009 05:35 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2009-01-26

In regards to your ancestry. You will find ignorant people where ever you go.

All I can say is that you will find spanish people to be all in all very accepting and friendly.

Signature 

Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol Blog

Posted: 29 September 2009 11:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-09-28

Thank you for the replies.
Another question: I’ve been advised to live in a hostel for approx a month (yes a month) before I secure housing.  I’ve done some searching and i’ve found an avg cost of 36Euro. I can’t figure out if it’s most likely listed per night or week!?
Also, should I select this option what is the avg cost per night/week outside of the red-light district and such areas.

Nandi

Posted: 30 September 2009 02:50 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-01-17

Do you have any idea which part of Andalucia you are thinking of ?

Posted: 01 October 2009 02:32 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-09-28

I will be in Fuengirola (Malaga)