Gibraltar, Duty free, is it worth it?
Posted: 16 October 2009 12:31 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-10-06

Gib, is tax free, so I was thinking of buying a new (professional) camera, is it worth it?

I have done a search on the internet and found “Carlos” but they are only one that I have found online and they do not show prices (have sent them an email), does anyone know of another company?

thanks

Signature 

NRG Photography, provides wedding, creative and portrait photography in Andaluc?a, Spain. All photos are for sale and commission work is undertaken. http://www.nrgphoto.eu

Posted: 16 October 2009 06:38 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Hi

I work in Gib and can assure you its VERY WORTH WHILE to bye a camera here…

The only issue is that Gib has very few “Big Name Shops” for Electrics Big names yes for clothes!

So the Cameras you buy will be from Electrical stores/Shops…

Good warranty too!

Regards

Anthony

Posted: 16 October 2009 10:38 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi HS… Yes, to buy a camera in Gib is a good bet. Although be aware that if there is a guarantee issue you may have to ‘return to base’ (no problem if you go there regularly).
I know the Carlos store quite well (have shopped there for various items over the years).
Infact, you will find many of the small stores in Main street are connected to various others, but that shouldn’t stop you having a haggle.

I bought my Canon 350D slr a few years back. Don’t know if it was worth the extra money in hindsight to reject the standard zoom lense that came as part of the package. I allowed myself to be talked into the Sigma 15-80mm lense as the shop assistant told me it was better all round. 

Remember there is a limit on tax free goods and you are supposed to declare anything over ?200? (check - someone here may know). 

Good luck.  Great place to buy!

Posted: 16 October 2009 11:37 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-03-24

Check prices very carefully. See UK prices ( which come complete with guarantee ) You may well find there is not the great difference you are led to believe. look at this link it will give you a list of many UK camera dealers, from Jessop, Mifsud, wharehouse express etc. then check the Gib prices and decide ! Watches, tobacco and perfume can be very much lower in prices in Gibraltar, but check and haggle for camera prices. ( always haggle ! ) good luck. Don’t forget you may have to pay duty in Spain !!!
http://www.acecam.com

Posted: 17 October 2009 10:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-07-13

we have bought camera and lenses from Carlos over many years and traded in items for newer versions - have always haggled with them to get a good price - tbh hubby quite enjoys haggling

Check prices on the item you want before you go - some things are a lot cheaper and others are not so

Posted: 19 October 2009 03:05 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-10-06

Thanks guys, have sent an email to “Carlos” and not had an answer, anyone have an up to date email address? (I’m after a Canon 5d Mark II with 24-105 Lens)

KFBPHOTO, Ebay is the cheapest, but then it is Ebay!

Signature 

NRG Photography, provides wedding, creative and portrait photography in Andaluc?a, Spain. All photos are for sale and commission work is undertaken. http://www.nrgphoto.eu