The Big Decision
Posted: 10 December 2009 07:43 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-12-10

My wife and I currently live in Chicago, and both have been born and raised here.  Several factors have contributed to our current consideration of a move to Spain (whether temporary or permanent).  The first and most important factor is that we have visited Spain several times, have traveled through quite a bit of the country and so far, have loved it (except for Madrid).  As you all know, the people are fascinating as are the culture, food, terrain and climate.  We are young and have caught the bug for adventure.  Thats reason number one.  Number two is that the recent year has been less than satisfactory in our careers.  Both working in the film business in the States has been disappointing recently, and we have been feeling less of a magnetism to our home-land.  A general sentiment that if we’re not making as much money at home, we might as well not be making much money in a foreign country, experiencing something unforgettable!  The third reason is simply that neither one of us has lived outside of our great city, and being in our twenties, we feel that this could be an opportunity to do so. 
    This brings us to our question, broad as it may be:  Should we do it?  How is the social/economic climate over there, and are there people out there who have done the same as us and found it either a great experience or a horrible one?  Please let us know, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Seth

Posted: 11 December 2009 05:07 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-12-10

Hi Seth

I am french/ spanish , and I have been living in Spain for the last 17 year ( Marbella) Andalucian province, I finish my studies in Paris and I came to spain.  I suppose that you may visited the coast during your hollidays, it is very nice, called the sunniest coast with nice beaches ,  microclimate with nice temperature in winter , we are 2 hours from Ski resort Sierra Nevada in Granada , and 45 minutes from Africa ( Morocco) by ferry. It is a big decision to leave Chicago, and decide to come to Spain. But you are right , you are both young, and that would be a great experience, cost of living now on the coast is quite moderate, the cost of rental is lower than previous years , and you can find nice apartments either mountains side or beach side for a moderate price . Concerning the fact to make money, the tourism and real estate market are really suffering now , but you could met spanish and foreign people quite friendly , most of people in business speak english . I will recommend you may be to start with a temporary staying of aprox 6 months by renting a house or apartment according your desire and see how things could turn and what you can do .
Life is to short , and if you don’t try the new experience , you may have some regrets later.

Anne