Barcelona or Valencia? English teaching jobs?
Posted: 05 May 2007 07:23 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-05-05

Hola,

I’m really glad I’ve found this site, with first hand info from people who have moved to Spain [and speak English! 😊], but at the same time I’m no longer as enthusiastic about moving as I used to be, having read about low salaries, high prices (apartments), not that friendly local people, etc. But I guess that’s what you call reality…

Anyway, I’ve been thinking of going to Spain (and staying for a while) for some time now, for various reasons: I need a change, I’m longing for some sun and beaches, and last but not least, I’d like to brush up my Spanish. At the moment it’s at a pre-intermediate/ intermediate level. I understand quite a lot (especially written Spanish), but speaking is still a problem, not to mention understanding Spaniards when they speak as fast as they do…

I’ve already got a ticket, so I know I’m definitely going, but I’m still undecided about my destination (Barcelona or Valencia). First I thought of Barcelona, where there’s a good chance of meeting some English speaking people too. And besides, being in my 20s, I would definitely appreciate what the city has to offer when it comes to nightlife and leisure. But I’m not too happy about the apparently high cost of living (even though I’m thinking of shared accommodation), and catalan. It seems that it’s more than useful to speak catalan, but to me, learning both castellano and catalan would be a bit too much for a start…

So I started thinking about going to Valencia instead. A friend told me that the locals in Valencia are nicer than in Barcelona, that Valencia is cheaper to live in and generally nicer, but the posts I found today, from people looking to move away to some better location, made me wonder…

Another issue is work. I will be looking for a job right after I come, and papers shouldn’t be a problem (I’m an EU citizen), but with my current level of Spanish the only kind of jobs I can think of is at some tourist location, where speaking English would be the main advantage (bartending, waiting tables, reception, etc.) In the long run, I’ll be looking for an English teaching job (I’m not a native speaker, but I have the necessary qualifications and experience), but I’ll be coming to Spain at the beginning of July, so I’m guessing that teaching would only be possible starting from September.

Looks like I’ve written a long post here, but I’d be very greatful for any tips on living and working in Barcelona and Valencia.

Muchas gracias 😊

Posted: 05 May 2007 11:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I say Barcelona, but I’m biased. I love BCN. 😊

Go where you find a job I guess. Are you taking a TEFL course?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 06 May 2007 12:15 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-05

And I’ve already (almost) decided on Valencia! ;-O

When it comes to work, I’ll start looking when I actually get to Spain (well, ok, maybe 1-2 weeks before arrival). At the moment I’m simply too far away to be able to show up for interviews 😉 But I want to decide on a city now, cause after I find a place to live, apply for NIE, etc., relocating could become a bit of a problem…

I have a degree in English studies, and I’ve been working as a teacher for several years now, so I hope it’s gonna be enough and I won’t need any additional certificates. What worries me, though, is people complaining about low pays for teachers… But as long as I earn enough to live on, I guess I can make a few sacrifices.

Thanks for replying 😊

Posted: 27 May 2007 09:56 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-05-27

Hope im not too late with reply

Like the administrator above, i will too be very biased

and i would go for Valencia, but then again i’ll be VERY biased

i think the cost of living is a concern in BCN and the catalan is a major consideration too - unlike the Valencians, the Catalans are very hardcore on the subject

Alltogether it sounds like you are looking for quality of spanish life, a bit of dolce vita etc. i too originally thought of going to barcelona and im happy i didnt. valencia is a perfect size where u get the best of two worlds, while barcelona is more like living in london. just the difference between valencia beach and barcelona beach is striking. things to do, culture etc, are abundant, its much more convenient socially due to the size and there are enough expats to keep your company until you get your spanish to the level. Nightlife i wouldnt worry about too much - valencia is much more famous for nightlife than barcelona.

valencia has all you can ask from a location but it is also at comfortable level. valencia is also a developing location in terms of tourism, perhaps at the perfect point - like pasta “al punto”, so there are more opportunities here than in barcelona where everything has been done three times over.

u should have no problem teaching english. i dont know any native speaker who didnt score a tefl job here eventually, and im talking no qualifications and no experience. besides, the black market here is huge and u’ll get more cash in hand as well as various new opportunities in tefl and private work on the side.

last but not least, cost of living here can still be very “spanish”

Signature 

Valencia City Guide
Complete Tourist Guide to Valencia

Posted: 27 May 2007 12:51 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-05

Thanks a lot for answering. But man, now I have a real dilemma 😉

So far, most people have been saying “Barcelona!”, and I’ve practically decided to stay there… I mean, even my flight is to Barcelona, so why complicate things, right? 😉 But I still have some time to think about it, a little over a month in fact.

According to most people (those that I asked), BCN is more cosmopolitan, more exciting, and simply the place to be… People who live there say that the ‘coldness’ of Catalans is only a stereotype, and that you don’t really NEED to speak catalan, cause the locals will switch to castellano without problems. There are of course people who will not be as nice, but it can happen in any part of Spain, or the world, for that matter.

On the other hand, the lower cost of living in Valencia would be a big advantage, and thanks to the America’s Cup there are obviously a lot job openings in the area at the moment. Besides, you’re the second person who says “definitely Valencia” (there were a few more Valencia lovers, actually, but they didn’t really explain their reasons). So there must be something to it…

But may I ask how long you’ve been living in Valencia? And what are your reasons for not liking Barcelona? Any bad experiences?

Anyway, thanks again for your insights.

Posted: 27 May 2007 03:41 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-27

i cant generalise of course, but here is my personal experience: i have never been spoken to in Valenciano, yet i have been spoken to in Catalan on several occasions during my short tourist stay in barcelona even though it was obvious that i was a foreigner who could barely even speak Castellano.

my main reason for not liking barcelona was exactly the fact that everyone said it was the place to be. when i came there and saw the sheer size and the numbers on the streets, the taint of mega-tourism and the defensive stance of the locals against it, it appeared to me to be quite a harsh world and not that different to any metropolis. i realised that every day 10000 foreigners land in barcelona and 10000 foreigners leave barcelona and wherever i went there was no personal touch left. in fact it was quite traumatic. i had almost decided to live in barcelona before even checking it out, just because everyone thought it was the place to be, like in your case, and i was severely disappointed when i finally came there. the impersonal buzz of barcelona was just not enough of a change and was hardly worth moving from london and starting all over again.

in valencia, however, i was immediately stunned at how personal every interaction is.

u want to consider how much of the cool stuff in barcelona you’ll be able to afford. in terms of happenings, london is probably the coolest place on earth, but an average resident walks past it all drooling, being able to afford only a small fraction. you can have all the cultural bombshells and extraordinary nightlife in the world but if you have to pay a half of your salary just for the rent and a tenth on transport (being a tefl teacher is not a particularly high earner) it will be still out of reach on your doorstep.

i had the same dilemma too, this was my story exactly too - most people were saying barcelona and i saw valencia as a bit of a leap of faith. if it helps, my final reasoning was this: in terms of cosmopolitanism, tourism and opportunities barcelona is overdeveloped while valencia is still developing, one is platoeing if you wish and the other one is climbing. so i could just try valencia first and if i didnt like it i would move to barcelona - nothing would change in barcelona in the meantime, while if i did it the other way round, a year or two could make a difference between coming at the right time and being too late. i have never regretted it and i think i have had major luck encountering valencia on the way, and everyone i meet here would not swap it for 5 barcelonas. its just a really cool place to be.

most people will always say barcelona simply because valencia as an expat destination is much less known. but if it was more well known perhaps by now it wouldnt be as nice.

sure, valencia can at times feel more sleepy and laid back than barcelona, perhaps sporting a smaller range of stuff, but to me it was the ultimate factor that gave valencia space to have the sweet pace of life that barceona will never have. ive never felt that something was missing here, while in barcelona i did - and thats taking into account that im very much a city person and not looking for peace and quiet. theres anything you want here (have a look at my site in the signature to get an idea), yet you never have to drive more than 20 minutes between any two points of interest.

i would however, get ready for the fact that things in spain move slow, so dont expect to find a job straightaway and definitely not before you come. have some funds to fall back on. americas cup will be finished by 7th july so it isnt much of a factor for you. valencia will, naturally, have a smaller turnover at workplaces than barcelona, but then in barcelona competition is fierce. things here in valencia tend to move more on personal contacts than an impersonal application. it may be daunting at first when u dont know anyone but its that much more pleasing when u get into the swing of it. its best not too be too stressed or pushed by circumstances and have some space to be relaxed while you find your bearings.

Signature 

Valencia City Guide

Posted: 27 May 2007 05:15 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-05

Actually, I used the phrase “the place to be” as a kind of a shortcut, and in fact whatever’s described in such a way can go… well, both ways. I’m really not into snobbish crowds (or crowds in general), but I also don’t like to feel claustrophobic, so I’m definitely a city (though not necessarily big city) girl. But what’s also very important is that personal touch, which -  when you go to a foreign country, on your own - becomes absolutely key…

A friend who is half Spanish and who has some family in Valencia told me exactly what you said: that people in Valencia are much nicer, which is also one of the things that makes the atmosphere of the city more appealing. That’s why I decided on Valencia at first [but then I thought that maybe he’s just opinionated ;)] Obviously, the last thing I want is to feel like an unwanted tourist or guiri. Besides, I know from experience that smaller cities are often much friendlier and more interesting than the biggest ones (capital cities especially). Yet, one of the people that answered my query and who actually moved from Valencia to Barcelona says that, among other things, he now enjoys the anonymity of BCN where he feels less like a foreigner. So it’s all so subjective…

But the lower cost of living in Valencia, and the fact that’s it’s less sprawled out than BCN, are big pros, no doubt. And after having just a quick look at your site, I have to say that Valencia seems more and more appealing… When it comes to nighlife, I was surprised that it has so many alternative places - definitely a plus again.

I guess what I’m gonna do is spend a few days in Barcelona, especially that I’ve already made arrangements for a place to stay, and then see what I come up with. But the reason I’d like to make a decision before I go is that, like you said, things may go pretty slow, and I really don’t want to end up broke or homeless when trying to make a decision ;) So I’d like to start looking for an appartment and a job as soon as I get to… well, Barcelona or Valencia ;) 

I have to say that I’ve just lost the comfort of having the decision made, so I don’t know if I should thank you… or curse you ;) Maybe I should just toss a coin? ;) But jokes aside, thank you again for sharing your experiences. This is just the kind of information I was hoping for when I left this post on the forum. Plus, it’s always good to come across someone who’s been in a similar situation… So keep up your good work :)

Posted: 27 May 2007 08:25 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Marg,

I couldn’t help but throw in my 2 cents with your Barcelona/Valencia decision.

I spent a year of college studying in Valencia and absolutely loved it.  The people are friendly, the climate is fantastic, you have the beach and access to so many amazing little beach towns along the coast (Alicante, Peniscola, Xactiva, etc.)  But during my year abroad, I took the train to Barcelona often to visit several friends who lived there.  I was very intimidated by the stories I heard about Catalans and their snobbery, their passion for only speaking Catalan and their dislike for tourists.  My friends were Catalan (they had been foreign exchange students at my high school and we had stayed close through the years) but I thought maybe they were an exception.

I didn’t want to fall in love with BCN simply because my Catalan friends told me I should, and I like to make my own decisions.  But I must say, it completely won me over, and this is coming from a person who chose to study abroad in Valencia.  Yes, Barcelona is a large city and therefore can seem impersonal at times.  But if you are a city person you know this comes with the territory and you may simply have to work harder at making it personal.  Yes, there are some Catalan snobs.  Just like there are New York snobs (I’m from NY), London snobs and Valencia snobs.  But I have found many more open, friendly and gracious Catalans than closed, up-tight, elite, penny pinching Catalans (these are the typical stero-types I’ve heard).  I believe a place is what you make of it and if you want to find negativity, it runs wild in every place on Earth.  But there are so many more positive aspects that far outweigh the negative.

Why I love Barcelona:
1.  It has the most beautiful architecture in the world and you enjoy it for free.  Simply walking along the streets and gazing up at Gaudi’s masterpieces, or spending a quiet afternoon in Parque Guell with a book or your journal.
2.  It is close to Girona and Figueres (home of Salvador Dali and the amazing Dali museum), a beautiful day trip. 
3.  It is a day trip from Sitges, amazing beach town!
4.  It is a day trip from Andorra if you want to go snowboarding in the winter!
5.  Spanish and Catalan.  Catalan is beautiful and if you give it a chance, you will learn to love it.  It may not be the most useful language in the world, but you can’t help but pick it up while living here and how can an extra language under your belt harm you?
6.  It has sun, beach AND mountains.
7.  Amazing culture.  The Picasso, Miro and Tapies museums are right here!
8.  Many food options (I am a lactose intolerant vegetarian and it is therefore hard to eat in Spain.  Barcelona has many vegetarian/vegan options that I haven’t found in other smaller cities)
9.  El Barrio Gotico (The Gothic Quarter) an amazingly charming neighborhood with old, winding streets where you don’t feel like you are in a big city anymore.
10.  More job opportunites

The good news about your tough decision is that both cities are easily accessible from the other, so you can live in Valencia and visit Barcelona or vice versa.  And no decision is permanent, so you can try both!  I think you’d have a wonderful experience in either place, but my heart is in Barcelona and I personally prefer it over Valencia.

Good luck!  Let us know what you decide!

Signature 

Laura

Posted: 27 May 2007 10:22 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-05

Thank you Laura for your very much needed confirmation that Barcelona is not a bad choice! :) Cause deep down I think I’ve already made my choice, and it starts with a “B”, though I still have a few doubts. But it is true, I can always move if any of the cities doesn’t work for me.

Oh, and I’m a vegetarian too, though I’m not very particular about food… as long as there’s no meat in it ;) Plus, I do eat fish, so it makes things a bit easier.

Thanks again, and I’ll be in touch!

Posted: 28 May 2007 01:52 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-27

I Ching really works if you need a fortune-teller help, marg 😊

I think I would agree with Ib26 that its all pretty much about making it yourself and you will enjoy it whichever you choose. Sometimes we concentrate on evaluating the locals, like the owe us a warm welcome, instead of considering how much effort we are making ourselves. Many expats make that mistake and ive met disgrunted people who have lived both in valencia and barcelona, disgrunted for this very reason. it is suprising how different social environment can become when you take responsibility for it. In both places there will be things you like and things you dislike. So whichever you choose it’s going to be great (with a few Bad Spain days)

However, if i may be cheeky for a second, and not in any way turning it into a contest, but after my extensive research of valencia i could easily provide the same 10 point list as Ib26, almost identical, with a few name changes (in fact i could stretch it way beyond the 10 points). apart form the 10th point which would have to be treated with caution as its not just about the number of jobs but rather about the jobs to jobseekers ratio as well as allowances for living costs and time consumption.

anyway, do enjoy - like Ib26 said, you will love it wherever

Signature 

Valencia City Guide

Posted: 28 May 2007 02:14 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-05
valenciavalencia - 28 May 2007 01:52 AM

However, if i may be cheeky for a second, and not in any way turning it into a contest, but after my extensive research of valencia i could easily provide the same 10 point list as Ib26, almost identical, with a few name changes (in fact i could stretch it way beyond the 10 points). apart form the 10th point which would have to be treated with caution as its not just about the number of jobs but rather about the jobs to jobseekers ratio as well as allowances for living costs and time consumption.

Watch out, cause I may ask you to do just that! ;)

So, I Ching, you say? ;)

Posted: 19 August 2007 08:51 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-08-09
marg - 05 May 2007 07:23 PM

Hola,

I’m really glad I’ve found this site, with first hand info from people who have moved to Spain [and speak English! 😊], but at the same time I’m no longer as enthusiastic about moving as I used to be, having read about low salaries, high prices (apartments), not that friendly local people, etc. But I guess that’s what you call reality…

Anyway, I’ve been thinking of going to Spain (and staying for a while) for some time now, for various reasons: I need a change, I’m longing for some sun and beaches, and last but not least, I’d like to brush up my Spanish. At the moment it’s at a pre-intermediate/ intermediate level. I understand quite a lot (especially written Spanish), but speaking is still a problem, not to mention understanding Spaniards when they speak as fast as they do…

I’ve already got a ticket, so I know I’m definitely going, but I’m still undecided about my destination (Barcelona or Valencia). First I thought of Barcelona, where there’s a good chance of meeting some English speaking people too. And besides, being in my 20s, I would definitely appreciate what the city has to offer when it comes to nightlife and leisure. But I’m not too happy about the apparently high cost of living (even though I’m thinking of shared accommodation), and catalan. It seems that it’s more than useful to speak catalan, but to me, learning both castellano and catalan would be a bit too much for a start…

So I started thinking about going to Valencia instead. A friend told me that the locals in Valencia are nicer than in Barcelona, that Valencia is cheaper to live in and generally nicer, but the posts I found today, from people looking to move away to some better location, made me wonder…

Another issue is work. I will be looking for a job right after I come, and papers shouldn’t be a problem (I’m an EU citizen), but with my current level of Spanish the only kind of jobs I can think of is at some tourist location, where speaking English would be the main advantage (bartending, waiting tables, reception, etc.) In the long run, I’ll be looking for an English teaching job (I’m not a native speaker, but I have the necessary qualifications and experience), but I’ll be coming to Spain at the beginning of July, so I’m guessing that teaching would only be possible starting from September.

Looks like I’ve written a long post here, but I’d be very greatful for any tips on living and working in Barcelona and Valencia.

Muchas gracias 😊

Valencia best.  Forget about other languages, that is just a political thing to discrimate against people.  All people in Spain speak spanish.  The ones that refuse to speak spanish are just ignorant assholes and are not worth talking to anyway.  I have been in small towns in Valencia and Barcelona, and all people speak spanish, and are very decent people.  It is the politicians that make an issue of the language.

Posted: 19 August 2007 09:00 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-05
neoman2445 - 19 August 2007 08:51 PM

Valencia best.  Forget about other languages, that is just a political thing to discrimate against people.  All people in Spain speak spanish.  The ones that refuse to speak spanish are just ignorant assholes and are not worth talking to anyway.  I have been in small towns in Valencia and Barcelona, and all people speak spanish, and are very decent people.  It is the politicians that make an issue of the language.

Wow, that’s a little harsh I think, especially that the language thing here is quite complicated from what I’ve seen.

Anyway, I’ve been in Barcelona for a month and a half now, and I love it.