Where to live when working in Gibraltar?
Posted: 29 January 2010 03:08 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-29

My company has offered me the opportunity of moving to Gibraltar. Question is - where to live?

I’ve got a young family (ages 6 & 9) so a flat is Gib isn’t really an option. I’ve taken a look @ Spain & fancy living over the border.

Any recommendations?

Posted: 29 January 2010 05:23 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12
adinic - 29 January 2010 03:08 AM

My company has offered me the opportunity of moving to Gibraltar. Question is - where to live?

I’ve got a young family (ages 6 & 9) so a flat is Gib isn’t really an option. I’ve taken a look @ Spain & fancy living over the border.

Any recommendations?

I am just moving away from Gib… so I give you some TIPS!

La Linea. San Roque.. Algecieras (Grab a taxi boat).. Estepona… Some people goe as far as Marbella to live!

Will warn you watch out for the Fav quotes from Estate Agents… “This is a great price” and “Hurry as it could be Snapped Up”
Always give an offer of rent… My boss is in a 5 bed house in San Roque and he is paying ?750 a month were the price was advertised at ?1400 so Rent is very stagnent around these areas….

I will say…. for your kids its not an Ideal place… as it will be Spanish only unless you cross the border with them to Gib?

Good luck!

Mac

Posted: 29 January 2010 10:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-11-22

I don’t have kids but if I did I would think very carefully about their education.  As MAC31 said - you could take them in to Gib for schooling there or you could go Spanish.  Another option to consider is Sotogrande International School - about a half hour drive from Gib.

Places to live are basically split between the campo where you can choose a white village (Jimena de la Frontera or Los Barrios maybe) and the coast where, depending on how far you want to drive, there is a wide choice from Marbella (probably a bit far) Estepona, Sabinillas and Sotogrande and, in the other direction, Tarifa.

Posted: 28 March 2010 02:40 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-03-28

Several of my friends work in Gibraltar and live in Estepona (40 min by car). I would not live in the frontier area : La Linea or Algeciras , my options are Sotogrande, Manilva or Estepona, all of these towns have schools and expat communities if you want a prior social integration till you get “the taste of the country”.
Good luck mate.

Posted: 14 July 2011 09:51 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2011-07-07

I’ve looked at the possibility of living in some of the places mentioned in the post - the problem is I would be relying on public transport buses. For example I researched the Sotogrande area and there is a bus that leaves this area, arriving in La Linea at 08.30am - I would have to make my way into Gibraltar afterwards.  Also, this same bus route, the last bus via Sotogrande was leaving La Linea at 19.45.  This is only one example, I don’t know if there are any better bus services. Also, this same bus route, the buses only run every 1.5hrs (If I read the timetable correctly!)  I’m not located in Gibraltar at the moment, I’m doing the research.  I will have to do dumpy runs the next time I am in Gibraltar to see what it is like in the rush hour.

Also, what locations are good for walking to Gibraltar, don’t really want to be in La Linea though!

Thanks.

coco

Posted: 14 July 2011 10:05 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2011-07-07

Will warn you watch out for the Fav quotes from Estate Agents… “This is a great price” and “Hurry as it could be Snapped Up”
Always give an offer of rent… My boss is in a 5 bed house in San Roque and he is paying ?750 a month were the price was advertised at ?1400 so Rent is very stagnent around these areas….

Mac[/quote]

Hi Mac

I’ve never rented from a private landlord before, only housing associations, therefore I didn’t know about the negotiations when renting privately.  Just want to clarify your point above, If I see a property I like I could make them an offer/try to get the rent down?  If that is the case, would that be the same in Gibraltar and Spain. 

Thanks for any tips from anyone else regarding rentals.  I emailed one Estate Agency and he mentioned regarding a long term rental, he said there are 11 month rental, and 11 months notice - what’s the deal with the later, what happens if you need to leave earlier?

coco

Posted: 17 July 2011 06:57 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-07-14

Hi,

I live in Alcaidesa near Gibraltar and I can help you

If you want an advice, ...don’t live beyond Alcaidesa, I do every day the travel Alcaidesa/Gib, and I mtelling you it’s enough time.

Send me a PM if you are looking for a rent,

Cheers