Help Please
Posted: 16 March 2010 02:02 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-03-16

Me and a Friend are moving over to tenerife, playa de las americas within the next month, we have already got jobs and a apartment! We are just abit stuck about the NIE number and about the insurance! Can someone please help. Thanks

Posted: 16 March 2010 03:21 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2010-03-09

For NIEs just apply at the nearest Policia Nacional, or consult in the British embassy, if you are EU members or entitled to work in Spain, and what is the insurance for? if it is health care, when you sign the contract at your new job you will be paying social security automatically and health care will be provided, I’m quite happy with Spanish health care.

Signature 

Tip: Want a free classifieds ads website that covers all areas of Spain? ClassifiedsInSpain.com

Posted: 16 March 2010 03:35 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-16

So we don’t need to get any health insurance or anythin like that! Thanks you have really helped us out!!

Posted: 16 March 2010 03:43 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-09

If your employer is giving you a legal contract, and not paying you in black, No you don’t need insurance, Spanish health care is very good, much better than other EU countries, if you want you can get private health care but not necessary (if you are working here legally), I live in Spain for more than 20 years, I have no complaints.

Signature 

Tip: Want a free classifieds ads website that covers all areas of Spain? ClassifiedsInSpain.com

Posted: 16 March 2010 11:19 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2008-11-26

Hi Steph

Congrats on getting jobs - you are both proof that there ARE still jobs to be found in Spain and the Islands ....I feel very happy for you and it’s nice to hear something positive rather than all doom and gloom 😊
You’ll be able to get your NIE numbers when you arrive - just go to the police station with your passport, a small photo and a fee of 10?, which you may need to pay at the bank.
Not sure about insurance - unsure what you mean by that!

Signature 

Follow Keidi for free information for expats living in the sun.

Try out her business opportunity for expats

Posted: 17 March 2010 01:19 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-16

I mean like when we are living there, what happens if we become ill or need to go the doctors or hospital, i have checked everywhere but cant seem to find any answers, also if you know any inportant information which oyu think i should need, please let me know!! Thanks.

Posted: 17 March 2010 02:00 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-09
steph1855 - 17 March 2010 01:19 AM

I mean like when we are living there, what happens if we become ill or need to go the doctors or hospital, i have checked everywhere but cant seem to find any answers, also if you know any inportant information which oyu think i should need, please let me know!! Thanks.

Hello again Steph, I think that there is people that just write for the sake of writing without looking what other people have written, and just create confusion, I’m talking about the post on top of your last one.

So, I’ll be as clear as possible:
When you get your job in Spain and sign your contract, you will be paying social security automatically so if you get ill you will have assigned a general practise doctor, and you will consult him/her, and if for instance you need to be operated you will be operated by the Spanish health care, there is no need to worry about this, your employer will be able to advise you about paperwork for the health care to get your card, don’t forget you are paying for this service it’s called “Seguridad Social” Social Security, normally you get a plastic card with your name, details and the name of your doctor.

My advice is once you get you NIE, and start working, pop in to your local hospital, find someone that can translate or find an English speaking person in the hospital, they will show you where to get the health care card I’m talking about.

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2010 02:13 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-16

thank you!!

Posted: 17 March 2010 09:47 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23
olidenia - 16 March 2010 03:43 AM

If your employer is giving you a legal contract, and not paying you in black, No you don’t need insurance, Spanish health care is very good, much better than other EU countries, if you want you can get private health care but not necessary (if you are working here legally), I live in Spain for more than 20 years, I have no complaints.

It has its moments and about to get worse.

It was recently reported that the Spanish govt have not paid bills to health suppliers for some 2 yrs.

In many regions the 90 period is well over and more like 12 months.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 17 March 2010 11:13 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-09

That’s true the government owes community’s like my mine “Valencian Community” 6 million euros and the “Consell” (Council) alerts that the system wont reach year 2015 if it’s not payed, so It will be doomsday if that happens, but anyway if you compare this figure with what the City of Valencia owes 771 million euros, it seams like peanuts, but anyway trying not to loose track from the main questions asked on this post, I recommend to try the Spanish health care in your area, and if you are not happy with it, or you are put on long waiting lists you can always go private, to give you a reference, I got my dad a date online at the hospital in my town from one week to another for a general checkup.

Greetings

Signature 

‹‹ move boxes      Bringing my shotgun to Spain ››