Where to live
Posted: 27 April 2007 12:30 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-27

Hi all
We are a couple with two small children and are looking to move to spain for a min of a year.
My wife is half Spanish and her family live in Leon.
We are looking to move but not to that area of Spain. Apparently even the wolves wear scarfs in the winter.
We have looked at Valencia but I thought it too big.
I am looking for a city of similar size to Leon (250,000) and have been told
that Jerez, Cadiz, Murcia and Seville (ok its bigger but been a couple of times and loved it) would be of interest.
I do need to be able to fly back to the UK when needed (run a UK comapany)
but really do not want to be in a massive expat community (Marbella, Fuengirola area).
Can anyone help out who lives in the areas mentioned or who has any additional options.

Regards

Dave

Posted: 27 April 2007 01:53 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I live about 25 minutes from the city of Granada and about 15 minutes from Granada Airport. I find this area offers me everything I was looking for. A rural area, but not isolated, which is not to overpopulated by expatriates., as yet anyway!! The road networks are excellent also. We’re 10 minutes or so from the A-92 autovia, which runds the length of Andalucia.

From Granada airport, there are flights to and from Stanstead, Gatwick, Liverpool, East Midlands, plus a couple more in the pipeline, if not already in place.

I don’t know if you’re looking to be in a large town or city, the outskirts, or out a little into the countryside like we are. There are many rental properties available and relatively well priced also. Having looked recently for my parents, who are moving over permantly in a month or so, I can suggest a number of good Inmobilarias/estate agents based in the area, both Spanish and British. I managed to get my parents a fully furnished new 3 bed house, with a garden in my village for 500 euros per month.

I do alot of work throughout the area and know many areas very well, however, I always think that a good way to find out is to at least spend a few days and see for yourself.

Granada itself is a lovelly city. There’s all the shops and facilities you could ever need. Depending how old your children are, and if you need nurseries or schools, there are plenty around. There are even a few English run nurseries in the area. Obviously with small children, it might be better being closer to a town/city, but it depends on if you mind driving or walking to get them to school.

Hope you find what you’re looking for and if you need any more info on Granada area, let me know.

Heath

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 27 April 2007 02:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-27

Thanks for the swift reply.
From what you are saying that sounds very promising.
My children are 3 and 7 so they will both be going to school. My wife actually teaches Spanish in
a school here so she would be looking to teach English there.
I would be working from home so could take drive them in.
I am looking for a min 5 bed house. Is that realistic?
Who flys from Granada?

Regards

Dave

Posted: 27 April 2007 02:23 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

Size of house would depend where you are in the area. In Granada city and the suburbs, you’ll find that there are alot of new build appartments and houses. Costs can vary alot. However, you will be in good proximity for schools for your children and also for your wife to work. She could probably pick up quite a bot of private tuition work from British expats. I’ve found learning Spanish from a Spaniards is far better.

Flights from Granada are frequent and reasonably priced. Airlines are mostly Monarch, Ryanair and Easyjet from the UK. This site has some info on flights and airlines - http://www.spanish-airport-guide.com/granada-airport.html

As for rental property, here’s a few links. But also have a look on http://www.google.es - in Spanish, as there are numerous inmo’s in the city who can advise on what properties they have on their books.

http://www.keypropertyspain.com/pages/EN/listProperties.asp?ACT=New&Mode=1&QN=72 - this company is one i’ve done some work for and they have rental properties throughout Granada. They speak Spanish and English. They’re also based in one of the southern suburbs of Granada.

Signature 

Posted: 07 May 2007 12:44 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-04-16

Heath 1974
Could you give me some advice about starting to get work in spain, my husband runs a buisness doing airconditioning and refrigeration in the uk. We are moving this year 15 min from nerja on the costa del sol. He hopes to be able to do the same work in spain. But wonderd how to start getting the work. We know we will have to be very competitive with prices.

Posted: 16 May 2007 06:04 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

There’s definately always a need for air conditioning!

As you seem already to appreciate, it’s a very competitive market already here, given the demand. One important thing to note though is that many new build properties in Spain don’t include fixtures and fittings, very beneficial in my line of work. My work is design, supply and installation of kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms along with general interior design and renovation.

I’ve recently been involved in working on new appartments in the Sierra Nevada area, via and estate agent. The properties do have bathroom suites and occasionally built-in wardobes, but things such as shower screens, light fittings, kitchen furniture/appliances and air conditioning units are left to the buyer to arrange themselves. Handy to be aware of in my line of work and yours for certain. Getting to know property companies, developers and agents who work with new properties is very beneficial with this in mind.

If you’re planning on setting up a company, then it would be beneficial to speak to a good Spanish accountant for advice on the various rules and regulations of trading. I am “autonomo” which means, self-employed. I’m basically a sole trader. I don’t employ others directly, but I do sub-contract work to others. This has worked well for me, as although I had a showroom based business in the UK, I felt that at this stage, it would be getting too far ahead of myself. Being autonomo means also that I’ve not tied myself to any other developers or companies in particular, but that I am still paying into the system here and therefore legitimate.

Working for others initially may be well worth considering. Put yourself around and make yourself known. There are British run aircon companies here, predominantly on the coast, but if you find yourself getting along well with the language, then it’s always worth contacting the Spanish companies.

If you’re looking at advertising, although I don’t myself, then consider the local English publications you will find in the area. In my area of Granada, there is a magazine called “Where2”, which is focused on Granada province in general. It’s circulated free at the airport, car rental companies, restaurants and petrol stations. I’m told it’s very cost effective to advertise and because it’s a good source of information and bi-monthly, it’s something that people keep. There’s also “Insight” and “Sur” in English that might be worth looking at.

Finally, it’s worth being willing to travel. One thing that I’ve noticed is that alot of expats would prefer to deal with a fellow Brit, simply because they are not confident enough to have to speak the native language to a Spanish tradesman, dispite that for some reason some expats think that Spanish tradesmen are’nt as good, it’s usually to do with the language barrier. I see alot of British tradement that live on the coast, travelling inland now, because the area has become increasingly popular. One Sky installer I know lives near Mijas, but travels throughout all of the Andalucian provinces. Luckily, 90% of my work is within no more than an hours drive of where I live, but if need be, then I’m always willing to travel further afield. With the number of UK destinations flying into Granada, along with the approval for a new airport near Antequera, inland Andalucia has really opened up. You will notice that there are a number of posters on the forums here that live in Granada, Cordoba and Jaen provinces. Hopefully they will post and give you some info on the opportunities in those respective areas.

Hope that you move all goes to plan and that what I’ve posted is of some help.

Heath

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2007 02:22 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

Hi,

There are a number of 5 Bedroom Properties listed here for under ?100,000 if that helps.
http://www.cavehomes.com/as_index.php?property_area_serial_hidden=&lstproperty_area_1=3&lstproperty_area_2=1017&lstproperty;_area_3=&lstproperty;_area_5=&search;_property_type=&search;_property_price_lower=&search;_property_price_upper=&search_property_bedrooms=5&__method=external_property_search&button=search
Most are within an hour’s drive of Granada, and facilities are good in the area.

You certainly get more for your money by going inland!

Alan.

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 17 May 2007 04:48 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

Where abouts are you based Alan? North East Granada? I have some friends who live in a part-cave house up near Baza. They also have a house in Castillo de Tajarja where I live, about ten minutes from Granada Airport.

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2007 05:08 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-25

I’m in Cuevas del Campo - not far from Baza!  I’m currently re-furbishing
three Cave Homes, doing most of the work myself - but I’m going to be
very bored when it’s all done!

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2007 07:34 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

Ahh, I think that’s not far from where they live. Sue and Derek are their names. They have a son who has a building company up that way also.

I never get up that way much to be honest, as most of my work is quite local to where I live. I do renovation work also, though I concentrate on interior reforms involving kitchens, bedrooms, floor and wall coverings. I’m lucky enough to know a couple of good Spanish builders for heavier duty construction work when needed. I’m having a well earned break at the moment though following a couple of jobs, which I never used to get in the UK. I bet it’s good fun working on the cave houses though. I’ve always liked them but my missus did’nt fancy the idea of a cave house - some people just can’t bend their head around the idea can they 🙄

Nice to speak to someone quite local though. I keep an eye on a few forums and it seems most people that post live on the Costas, and therefore don’t live in what I would call the “real” Spain!

While I’m at it….

I was watching Canal 2 Andalucia (Spanish telly!) the other night and there was a documentary about the filming of the Sergio Leone films up your way. They featured a village where they filmed the final sequence for “The Good, The Bad & The Ugly”. You could recognise the street where the mothers dragged the kids in as Clint walked by, and the threshing circle from the final sequence was even still there! Do you know what the village is called and roughly where it is, as I would very much like to visit it one weekend. I was quite excited as I had always assumed it was just a made-up film set that would’nt be there anymore.

Cheers,

Heath

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2007 08:44 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-25

Hi Heath,

There’s a whole herd of us Cave Dwellers on http://forum.aceboard.net/177601
and we are all loving the lifestyle.  Most of us would never consider a conventional
house after experiencing the many benefits of cave-life.

Apart from Cave Houses, there are also Cave Hotels, Cave Bars, Cave B&B’s and
even a Cave Curry Restaurant, and the area is growing in popularity - not only with
the Brits, but also German and Swedish families.

I have started a blog at http://www.bisobodega.com and there is even a webcam on the
roof of one of the caves.

The Film Set village is called Tabernas, a bit south from me - and there is a tourist
attraction called Mini Hollywood there, which has most of the original film sets and
props in a type of living museum display. 
See http://www.viva-almeria.com/mini_hollywood_p95.php

Haven’t been there myself yet, maybe when my girls come over in the summer hols.

Regards,
Alan.

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2007 09:08 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

Thanks for the info there Alan, so Tabernas is just over into Almeria then. Still, worth a jaunt one weekend so I can stand in the threshing circle and pretent I’m Clint Eastwood :cheese:

My friends love their cave house and that is their main home. Their house here was more of an investment and a bolthole for odd weekends. They love the constant temperature of their cave home and the coziness of it.

Signature 

Posted: 08 May 2010 12:58 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-08

Hi Heath,

I’m in process of buying cave in Cuevas del Campo intending to retire there end 2010. I don’t speak Spanish so for local knowledge, I’ve been surfing for English or French speaking people in area and came up with your post below. I see that’s from 2007; are you still there?

Thanks,

John+

heath1974 - 17 May 2007 07:34 PM

Ahh, I think that’s not far from where they live. Sue and Derek are their names. They have a son who has a building company up that way also.

I never get up that way much to be honest, as most of my work is quite local to where I live. I do renovation work also, though I concentrate on interior reforms involving kitchens, bedrooms, floor and wall coverings. I’m lucky enough to know a couple of good Spanish builders for heavier duty construction work when needed. I’m having a well earned break at the moment though following a couple of jobs, which I never used to get in the UK. I bet it’s good fun working on the cave houses though. I’ve always liked them but my missus did’nt fancy the idea of a cave house - some people just can’t bend their head around the idea can they 🙄

Nice to speak to someone quite local though. I keep an eye on a few forums and it seems most people that post live on the Costas, and therefore don’t live in what I would call the “real” Spain!

While I’m at it….

I was watching Canal 2 Andalucia (Spanish telly!) the other night and there was a documentary about the filming of the Sergio Leone films up your way. They featured a village where they filmed the final sequence for “The Good, The Bad & The Ugly”. You could recognise the street where the mothers dragged the kids in as Clint walked by, and the threshing circle from the final sequence was even still there! Do you know what the village is called and roughly where it is, as I would very much like to visit it one weekend. I was quite excited as I had always assumed it was just a made-up film set that would’nt be there anymore.

Cheers,

Heath

‹‹ bantams      Help need advice. ››