Help with transferring benefits to Spain
Posted: 11 May 2010 09:01 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-05-11

Hi all

I hope ye can help me out with this. I’m an Irish citizen, planning on moving to Spain for the summer, ideally for work although I am fully aware of the Spanish unemployment situation. At the moment, I am on Jobseekers Benefit in Ireland and recently discovered that I can get my benefits transferred to Spain for up to 78 days. My social welfare office didn’t have much information on this only that indeed it is possible and that I would need a forwarding address in Spain. Does anybody know how or where I can collect my benefits in Spain? I receive them here through my post office using my social security card and I am required to ‘sign on’ once a month in the social welfare office.

Any help or advice on the above would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a million
Ciara

Posted: 11 May 2010 09:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

it cant be done , irish wont do it
Jurdy

Posted: 11 May 2010 09:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-05-11

how do you mean Irish won’t do it?

Posted: 11 May 2010 09:32 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

benefits transferred to Spain for up to 78 days but need to sing on in ireland every 30 days , know mate just dome somethink like this and he had two come home to sing up again . ?sign on? once a month in the social welfare office.  you loacl office should know how two do it , lot easyer to just travel back to ireland

Posted: 11 May 2010 11:12 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I can’t believe the Spanish social security offices have any agreement for this.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 11 May 2010 11:45 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

The Irish Civil Service are on a work two rule in ireland over pay cut two wages and wont do any extra work out side ireland as in transfer benefits outside ireland

Ciara you have fine out the forum your self and do all the work your self .....  was told from Irish office get in touch with http://www.citizensinformation.ie are loacl office as there know more

Posted: 12 May 2010 09:40 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Ciara, what are you going to do after the next 77 days?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 12 May 2010 08:53 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

I always thought that if you are claiming some sort of job seeking benefit you have to be available to work.How can this be if you are in Spain also why should the Irish tax payer pay for you to be in Spain.

Posted: 13 May 2010 01:49 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-05-11

Hi everybody, hope you are all well.

Pepsi, you raise a very good point. I too would be concerned if my hard earned taxes were being used to fund somebody to live in another country. However, the way I look at it is why would the government offer such a scheme if they did not want people to take part in it? I am not going to apologise for my plans. When I was younger and times were good I worked two jobs for almost two years and the taxman got a nice chunk of my wages every week. I don’t know exactly how the plan works re being available for work, so I will definitely visit my Citizens Information Office (thanks for that tip Jurdy) for further advice.
Rob I am only going by what I have read on http://www.welfare.ie. I don’t know what the agreement between Ireland and Spain is.
The Expatriator, I am not sure of my plans. If I can get a job (whether at home or abroad) then well and good I will be delighted. If not then I will go back to college or take up some form of further education or training.

Thanks a million for all your advice and comments, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my query.

Ciara

Posted: 13 May 2010 02:21 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Ciara, that’s a very diplomatic response. Maybe you should look into politics if you go back to school!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 January 2011 03:07 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-01-05

Ciara, were you able to determine how to transfer / collect Irish benefits in Spain?  I also saw that information on citizensinfo.ie.  I have a job offer in Spain but my husband is on job seekers and struggling to find work in Ireland.  We hope that a new situation will make a difference for him, but don’t want to lose the benefit he’s been paying Irish taxes for 20 years for his entitlement.  Thanks