I forgot to ask THE most important question!!
Posted: 07 July 2010 12:28 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2010-07-05

What is Spanish beer like?
Obviously, it wont compare to Canadian beers, which are without a doubt the best in the world (heehee), but it HAS to be better than the yellow water American beer I hope!!!

Signature 

no more snow…let’s all say it together now…NO MORE SNOW!

Posted: 07 July 2010 12:39 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2006-02-09

Ah, I remember saying some of the exact same things about five years ago.

I just got back from a week in Canada and I’m still missing my American IPAs. The American west coast and east coast breweries have come a long way and now make some of the best beers in the world. German and Czech pilsners are also excellent. In Spain you’ll want to drink Mahou, Estrella Galicia or Moritz (IMHO).

Signature 

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Facebook for updates, advice, news, and highlights.

Posted: 07 July 2010 12:44 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-05

I was just joking about the American beer….back in my younger days we didn’t like it much, but now it is almost impossible to tell many American beers from Canadian ones. Either they have gotten better or we have gotten worse! hahaha

Are the beers you mentioned more of a lager or ale, light or dark…..I suppose the best way to find what I like will be to try them all!!!

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 02:31 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-04-24

I live on Estrella when in Spain 😊

Posted: 07 July 2010 05:53 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2010-01-25
Drummer - 07 July 2010 12:28 AM

but it HAS to be better than the yellow water American beer I hope!!!

Oh for Pete’s sake. Before you get to Spain, do yourself a favor and do a brewery tour of America. Please. You’re missing out on a lot of good stuff! (Or just head to NY and go to Saranac Brewery. Or if you just can’t cross the border, make a trip to Moncton to Pumphouse Brewery.)

Beer in Spain is ... ok. I really do miss the variety we have back in North America.

Posted: 07 July 2010 05:56 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-05

Chill bud, it was a joke. Every country has good and bad beers, I was more interested in the “types” of beers in rural Spain. Dark, heavy, lights, etc…....don’t be getting your panties in a know, beer isn’t worth it. Hell, I’ll even buy you one! LOL

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:02 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-25
Drummer - 07 July 2010 05:56 PM

Chill bud, it was a joke. Every country has good and bad beers, I was more interested in the “types” of beers in rural Spain. Dark, heavy, lights, etc…....don’t be getting your panties in a know, beer isn’t worth it. Hell, I’ll even buy you one! LOL

After four years in Canada hearing that “joke” from every Tom, Dick, and Harry…
Guess I could use a beer.

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:06 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-05

Guess that would be the same as us getting asked about our igloo’s and such when we go to Florida! LOL…...I just take it all with a smile.

Deal, beers on me if I ever get there!! haha

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:12 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-25
Drummer - 07 July 2010 06:06 PM

Guess that would be the same as us getting asked about our igloo’s and such when we go to Florida! LOL…...I just take it all with a smile.

Deal, beers on me if I ever get there!! haha

PRECISELY! That, and your cruel practice of abandoning the elderly out on icefloes.  😉

Here’s a brief blurb about Spanish beer: http://gospain.about.com/od/fooddrink/qt/beerinspain.htm
The price of a ca?a in most spots can’t be beat. San Miguel and Cruz Campo are good with gaseosa (a sweet carbonated water) on a terribly hot day. I know it sounds like a sin, but you can drink more and spend the whole afternoon on the terraza that way.

Here’s a brewery listings site: http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/spanbrew.htm#breweries

Good luck!

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:15 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-05

hahaha….if thats a sin, guess I am heading for hell! It sounds like a perfect afternoon/evening….early morning…to me!!

Thanks for the link, will go do some reading!

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:23 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-25
Drummer - 07 July 2010 06:15 PM

hahaha….if thats a sin, guess I am heading for hell! It sounds like a perfect afternoon/evening….early morning…to me!!

I’m back in the States visiting my parents. It’s hotter than the blue blazes here, and all I can think about is how much I’d die for the typical Spanish bar with its terraza and the fact that it’s ok there to spend the afternoon at the bar beating the heat.

Cheers!

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:25 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-05

yup, having a heat wave here in Eastern Canada as well.

Have a good visit!

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:33 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-25
Drummer - 07 July 2010 06:25 PM

yup, having a heat wave here in Eastern Canada as well.

Have a good visit!

Thanks! Where in Eastern Canada are you? Sackville, NB is near and dear to my heart.

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:39 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-05

Small world! LOL….I am about a 3 hour drive north of there in a small town called Hartland (home of the longest covered bridge in the world…woofrigginghooo).

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2010 04:03 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-03-02

Spanish Beer is ok.

Of the Spanish beers I prefer Mahou (pronounced ‘Mau’, don’t do what I have seen many tourists do when asking for it at a bar and ask for ‘Ma-hou’ or you will get laughed at!)

San Miguel is ok. Estrella is ok.

Avoid Cruzcampo, or any other brand of cheap and nasty looking lagers you might stumble upon for sale in supermarkets such as Lidl’s

Signature 

Release Cash from your UK Pension
http://www.cashinyourpension.com

‹‹ please help!!      SCOOTERS ››