1 of 2
Master/PhD student moving to Barcelona
Posted: 06 August 2010 02:13 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-08-05

Hi to everyone,

first let me thank you for this great webpage and forum, that has already helped me so much.

I’m an 25 year old male that just got a scholarship to work on a Master and a PhD thesis at the University of Barcelona. I’m originally from Belgrade, Serbia but the last year I spent abroad in Holland and Sweden.
As I have to be in Barcelona on the 1st of October I’m planning to move there in September. The closer it gets the more I’m excited but also worried about finding a place to live.

I already read a lot on the website but would like to ask you all some straightforward questions.

First I get around 1200 euros a month, I had a similar scholarship in Utrecht in Holland and everything was more than fine, but would like to know how good life can i expect in Barcelona. I read a lot about the living costs in Barcelona but I still can’t make a real picture on this.
I’m looking for a room or a studio somewhere near the University (hopefully in walking distance), but I don’t really know how much money should I spend on accommodation, any suggestions what should be my limit given my income?

If anyone has any tips for a student moving to Barcelona, please post them. Every advice is more than welcomed….
Are there any international students here?

Thank you all,

Ljuba

Posted: 06 August 2010 08:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Ljuba,
I used to live with a PHD student in Barcelona and he was on a bit smaller scholarship. He was making about 900? per month, and paid about 250? in rent for his shared room. I think he lived quite well, travelled every few months for a bit and enjoyed life there. He’s currently in Australia making way more money but is far more miserable in general. Barcelona really offers so much, even for those without much money. The metro is cheap, and I’d highly recommend focusing your search more on proximity to the metro than to the university. Try to find a place close to multiple lines, so you have options.

I think limiting yourself to aobut 500? per month is reasonable. Any more than that and you’ll have to start sacrificing lifestyle, and people in BCN tend not to spend too much time at home.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 August 2010 12:17 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-05
The Expatriator - 06 August 2010 08:30 PM

Hi Ljuba,
I used to live with a PHD student in Barcelona and he was on a bit smaller scholarship. He was making about 900? per month, and paid about 250? in rent for his shared room. I think he lived quite well, travelled every few months for a bit and enjoyed life there. He’s currently in Australia making way more money but is far more miserable in general. Barcelona really offers so much, even for those without much money. The metro is cheap, and I’d highly recommend focusing your search more on proximity to the metro than to the university. Try to find a place close to multiple lines, so you have options.

I think limiting yourself to aobut 500? per month is reasonable. Any more than that and you’ll have to start sacrificing lifestyle, and people in BCN tend not to spend too much time at home.

Thanks for your quick response. It’s good to hear that more or less I won’t have money issue, with the scholarship. 😊
One question about the metro system; How long during night does it run?

Does anyone maybe now a webpage or a forum where it is possible to find other students looking for roommates?

Posted: 08 August 2010 09:45 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-08-08

Hi! I’m going to be an international student, but I’ll be in Madrid. Anyway, I have a friend going to BCN as an exchange student so you guys might bump into each other haha.

BCN’s metro closes at midnight on Sundays thru Thursdays, Fridays at 2 a.m., and all day/night on Saturdays. Here’s the detailed info: http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/barcelona/moute/horaris/horaris.jsp

Posted: 19 August 2010 01:28 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-05

Hey,
thanx for the help.

I’m trying for days to find a place in Barcelona over loquo.com. For some reason most of the time people don’t even respond to my emails, don’t know if i’m doing something wrong. But the worse thing is that today when i try to go to http://www.loquo.com i get a message something like: our apologies this web page is not available in your country!
Does anyone have a similar technical problem?

Posted: 01 September 2010 01:47 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-06-24

There are night buses too that run much alter than metro.  You can find info at the BCN transports page.

I know PhD students at some of the business schools and they seem to find rooming and roommates trough each other and word of mouth networks they have.  Have you tried seeing if your program can get you in touch with any current students who can help you ask around?

Posted: 01 September 2010 02:56 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-05

Hi Jordi,
Thanks for the tip, but I was lucky to already find a place 😊 near Sagrada Familia.
The day of departure to BCN is approaching.

Posted: 01 September 2010 08:20 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-06-24

What kind of PhD??  I live about 15 blocks up from SF.

Posted: 02 September 2010 02:02 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-05

It’s in Philosophy, first a Master and then a PhD…

Posted: 02 September 2010 02:12 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-06-24

En la UB?  Parlas catala?

Posted: 02 September 2010 03:02 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-05

Not a word, my friend. I don’t speak neither spanish nor catalan.
Everything is in English 😊
And yeah it’s basically at UB, but other Catalan Universities are also included in the program, I’ll be at UB for now.

Posted: 03 September 2010 07:26 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-09-01
ljuba_sr - 02 September 2010 03:02 PM

Not a word, my friend. I don’t speak neither spanish nor catalan.
Everything is in English 😊
And yeah it’s basically at UB, but other Catalan Universities are also included in the program, I’ll be at UB for now.

I too am going to UB I just need to take the Selectividad, I was wondering when you plan on going because I heard that housing prices drop at a certain time of the year but I have to re-check my figures on that though.

Posted: 03 September 2010 07:28 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-05

I have to be there on the 1st of October, but i plan to move there as soon as possible. I’m just waiting for my Visa.
I’m sure that prices go down in October, because all students already have a place…

Posted: 04 September 2010 04:11 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-01

I hope the prices are good, all my friends in Barcelona say that they are expensive but the food is cheap. Have you done a pricing assessment yet?

Posted: 04 September 2010 03:06 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-05

I didn’t really made a real assessment. I found this webpage that gave me a general impression about prices in BCN and other places I’ve lived in.
(http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/)

Basically I’m not really worried about living cost, sas it seems that I have enough money for decent living.

Posted: 04 September 2010 04:08 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-01

Oh great, that is truly super. I wish you the best of luck with your studies!

1 2 > 
1 of 2