Penny for your thoughts on Coin
Posted: 08 September 2010 01:28 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-09-07

Anyone familiar with Coin - what do you think of the area. Ive looked around Alicante without being very impressed. My next trip will be to the coin area

Posted: 15 September 2010 10:40 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-09-15

Its an Inland tourist destination in Spain and I have been there. Its absolutely gorgeous…as are most places in Spain!  The maze of narrow streets follows the Moorish layout and the Santa Maria church was o?nce a mosque.  The locals tend to gather in the avenue or tree-lined rambla.  The terracing and irrigation can be seen all over this region and is a legacy of the Moors. Some great attractions to see, wonderful restaurants, and cute shops!!

Signature 

Long Distance Movers

Posted: 16 September 2010 10:49 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-09-07

Well after that reply (thanks!) - Coin here we come!

Posted: 17 September 2010 12:12 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Eurovet, Have a great trip. Always best to come and see for yourself.
Please do not be disappointed!  It is not so much of an old, traditional town in the picturesque sense. (Nearby Monda does however, have a Moorish castle!)
It is (IMO)  a normal working inland town. (Even in the cetner is a fruit & veg co-operative for all the surrounding farmers).
It has become very Britified, in the sense you will see/hear lots of Brits, also a few businesses/shops owned by Brits, for the Brits.
As it is a reasonable way inland it has retained its Spanishness, but the Brits are creeping every inland hoping to find better property prices.

Nearby Alhaurin el Grande is prettier (IMO) but the Brit invasion is more visible.

If you really do want to mix with other Brits (as we all feel a bit lonely for a Brit voice from time to time?) The Royal British Legion are very active in Coin.

The more the Brits come, the more facilities are provided to help.  The town hall I understand now has a dedicated foreigners dept.

Lovely countryside. Not too far from the coast (30 mins Marbella on fast inland road, by-passing the lovely mountain village of Ojen), 30 mins from Mijas, and 40 mins the coast.

PS - I was considering the East Coast at one point. But couldn?t find any work. So ended up staying put! (Mijas)

Lots of people love it.
Try it and see!