Smoking ban in Spain?
Posted: 09 September 2010 11:46 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-09-09

I go on stage for a look and found a recent thread that I thought was not to bring the subject up again in recent months is nothing.

A smoking ban in the near future to have a plan - if in Spain - all? For two years I have been living here now, and although I love it and so in many ways prefer it to London, I can not stand smoking in bars, street restaurants, ...

I planned or future law to sign a petition seeking news article tried, but the partial ban since 2006 on which the article was nothing more than solve anything! If it can do Italy, Spain, why can not?

There anything we can do - online or similar petition - which at least one bit of Zapatero in motion can help get a law?

Should I go out every night ended with a burning throat, stinging eyes and clothes that smell of an ashtray? Por favor ojal? que cambie pronto!

Signature 

Spanish translation services

Posted: 15 September 2010 10:33 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-09-15

I cannot believe that they are close to passing any sort of ban on smoking in any European country let alone Spain! I felt like everyone in Spain was smoking…and they smoke everywhere. Restaurants, bars, etc. Should be interesting to see what comes of all of this.

Signature 

Long Distance Movers

Posted: 21 September 2010 12:41 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Just as I wonder about the smoking bans… I wonder how many different user accounts translia[dot]com have set up on this forum, with signature links to their site?

:p

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 21 September 2010 01:15 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

smoking ban , 1 has killed trade in uk , irish pubs .... in some case trade drop off by 40 % after the ban , 2 price off drinks aswell did not help , 3 cold weather

its ok when the warm weather is around , most bar in spain cant do what have do back in the UK Ireland and so on , put outside area , with tv heaters and so on

somking ban in few year time would be ok but to put ban in now , that will kill any tourism to spain , i would think there be a drop in fig of up 40 %

dont do it yet ... and any bar/pub owners i talk to have sayed , ” thay just closed up shop and through the key away . both spanish and english

dose any one know what taxes the Spanish government make on sell smokes ?

ha , some sould open any non smoke pub and see how long that last .....

Posted: 21 September 2010 04:13 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I’m a smoker, but I do understand there is a need for a more common sense approach to the issue. As always though, it seems that there will be a blanket ban in establishments, rather than giving them the option of providing smoking and non-smoking areas, if they’re able to do so.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the ban is enforced. Seriously.

I live in Granada province. In most of the small villages, there’s at least several small cafes and bars. When I’m doing work in some of these villages and call in one for my morning coffee break, there’s usually always officers of either the Policia Local or Guardia Civil in there. I don’t think I can ever recall one who wasn’t smoking.

Now in the case of the Policia Local, who are most likely the ones who will be responsible for enforcing any bans, how will they be so willing to do so, when in all likelihood, the bar owner may be a friend, neighbour, or even a relative? In more rural areas, I just can’t see this type of banning approach working, or if anything, it may cause more friction and problems, if bans are enforced on one establishment, but not another.

I personally think that encouragement and education, rather than blanket banning is a better solution. Leave the decisions to the proprietors and their clients, rather than the law-makers.

I recall when the regulations came in that establishments here had to provide notices, as to if they were “smoking” or “non-smoking”. One near to me decided that they might benefit from being non-smoking, even though they were a smoker themselves. They put up all the no-smoking signs and banned smoking in their bar. For the two or three “new” customers they gained, they lost all their “regulars”. Within only a fortnight, they were running at a loss, so decided to permit smoking once more.

Especially in the current climate, where I’m seeing cafes and bars closing down locally anyway, a rigidly enforced ban, would be the final nail in the coffin for many (already struggling) establishments.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 21 September 2010 05:46 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

No great wonder that the Spanish are loathe to ban smoking outright. They had over forty years of a dictatorship which strictly enforced ‘you will do this’, ‘you will not do that’ regulations. Any return to those days will be fought hard against by those who remember those days. Strangely enough the agencies in Spain hoping to introduce the ban are invariably led by those who are not old enough to remember the Franco regime.

So far as clean air is concerned, just as a matter of interest during the period that Gatwick had the ‘Leper Colony’ dedicated smokers areas, the cleanest air in the terminals was in fact inside the cordoned areas…

Just as in the UK, Spain cannot afford to lose the revenue gained from tobacco taxation. The UK went ahead and did it anyway and the hell with the consequences; but this is so typical of the UK’s attitude towards its populace. Doesn’t matter one iota to the powers that be have destroyed businesses and thrown more people on the dole because of their high handed attitudes. It’s high time Brits woke up to the fact that they do not live in a democracy but a very thinly veiled fascist dictatorship irrespective of who is supposedly in charge.

Though not related to this particular thread, Brits should take a very careful note of what happens in Spain later this month on the 29th September in respect of the enforced labour changes introduced by the Zapatero government. (Not that things would be any different under Rajoy; my gut feeling is that with Rajoy in charge things would / will get much worse.) Maybe the Brits at home should take a leaf out of the Greek or French book in respect of labour relations.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 21 September 2010 05:50 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

I go on stage for a look and found a recent thread that I thought was not to bring the subject up again in recent months is nothing.

A smoking ban in the near future to have a plan - if in Spain - all? For two years I have been living here now, and although I love it and so in many ways prefer it to London, I can not stand smoking in bars, street restaurants, ...

I planned or future law to sign a petition seeking news article tried, but the partial ban since 2006 on which the article was nothing more than solve anything! If it can do Italy, Spain, why can not?

There anything we can do - online or similar petition - which at least one bit of Zapatero in motion can help get a law?

If this is an example of a translia dot com translation into English, the author needs to do a lot more research…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773