best euro bank account
Posted: 28 September 2010 01:24 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2010-01-28

Any ideas on a reasonable bank to use for a euro account (ideally one with no charges and that issues a bank card).
I need an account o pay monthly bills, use for shopping, etc.
My current bank in the UK was going to charge ?5 per month just to open a euro account.

Posted: 28 September 2010 02:08 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28

Do you need a branch local to you ? No, could be an online account but definitely need a debit card issued.
Do they need to speak English to you ? Not necessarily but might be a plus. I imagine most online accounts would be done by email anyway.
Do they need to have an ATM ( Could be charges if you need to use another Bank?s ATM ) ? Yes, don’t most banks allow free use of each others ATMs in Spain? ING maybe?
Do you need internet Banking ? yes
If so does it need to be in English ? no
Are you Resident or Non-resident ?  Will you be paying regular sum (like a wage) ito the account ? Non resident
Will you be transfering regular sums across from the UK ? If so what charges are applicable ? Would prefer to do a lump sum to avoid bank exchange rate fees.
Do they issue charges for having a Bank Card ? Most UK euro accounts seem to charge ?5 a month, which I;m trying to avoid.

Also, if paying bills in SPain, I suspect they will want SPanish sort codes.

Posted: 28 September 2010 03:20 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Tumbit - 28 September 2010 03:13 PM

Based on what you have said I think that Bancaja would be worth checking out ( website in English too)  - but my experience of them is based on myself being resident here. Their charges for cross-currency transfers are quite low, and they will offer Sterling accounts too.

Do ylou know if SPanish banks are covered by a guarantee like the FSA cover accounts in the UK for 50k?

Posted: 28 September 2010 11:03 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Tumbit - 28 September 2010 03:44 PM

The FSA doesn’t apply to Spain ( We have an equivlent called the Comisi?n Nacional del Mercado del Valores - CNMV ), not sure about the 50k rule, but if it was an issue for you, you could always look into the likes of the Halifax, Barclays & Lloyds TSB who all have a number of Branches here in Spain where you could look into a Euro account as a non-resident.

Is it normal for SPanish banks to charge just to have an account?

Posted: 29 September 2010 11:36 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Tumbit - 28 September 2010 11:42 PM

As a Non-Resident, them I’m afraid many do.

So, is there any advantage in holding a Spanish account rather than a euro based account but from a UK bank? Is it simply that bills cannot be paid from UK accounts?
Not heard of solbank before - no online application but I guess that’s normal.

Posted: 05 October 2010 10:25 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Tumbit - 28 September 2010 11:42 PM

As a Non-Resident, them I’m afraid many do.

Is Solbank ok? I heard some good, some bad about them.
Also, la Caixa?

Posted: 19 October 2010 01:08 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

I have my business acct with La Caixa - friendly and bilingual local branch, v helpful, BUT they have just started charging me 10 eur per month for the privilege of online banking!  So I am trying to summon the energy to switch accounts.  I wouldnt choose them if starting out now, just because of the charges,

Good luck!

BDP x

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 19 October 2010 02:03 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
BuenosDiasPet - 19 October 2010 01:08 PM

I have my business acct with La Caixa - friendly and bilingual local branch, v helpful, BUT they have just started charging me 10 eur per month for the privilege of online banking!  So I am trying to summon the energy to switch accounts.  I wouldnt choose them if starting out now, just because of the charges,

Good luck!

BDP x

I opened one with Barclays as they have no fees, no minimum to pay in monthly and all seems free…perhaps they’re trying to attract the UK customers. Solbank seemed good but they charge a yearly fee to check with the police whether you are still registered as non resident and they charge 25euros for this whereas the other banks don’t even bother. You can applaud them for being thorough but as other banks don;t do it then I don;t see the point.