Suggestions of small town/village to spend 9 quiet months in…
Posted: 12 October 2010 02:04 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-10-12

Hi there,

I’m Australian, but have an EU passport. I’m planning to go to stay in a small town (or village) in Spain for 9 months next year - from March to November.

I’m looking for suggestions of places that might suit me. Here’s what I want (and my circumstances)...

+share accommodation (I’m on a budget of 1100 Euros a month, but am used to living very cheaply and basically).

+a climate that’s not freezing in winter or boiling in summer (I’m thinking something similar to the climate of Madrid would suit me…I know I can’t afford to spend money on lots of air-con or heating).

+a town somewhere between 4k and 60k population - possibly a university town (if they come that small…I know they are good for getting student-style accommodation.)

+I have a chronic illness which means I spend most of my time resting. So, I don’t need a place with lots of activities - just somewhere quiet, but with some village/town ambiance. I won’t be able to go out of town much, but will go on a couple of 10 minutes strolls a day around the town. So, it can be totally boring, but I’d like somewhere where my immediate surrounds had some atmosphere.

+I’m wanting to improve my Spanish - which is beginner, so I’m happy to be in a place with not heaps of other tourists.

+I won’t have a car, so some kind of bus or train service to other places (i.e. Madrid- where I’ll fly into) would be good.

I’m thinking somewhere in these regions might suit:
Asturias
Extramadura (although might be too cold?)
A bit West of Madrid (around Salamanca, Avila, Segovia)
Inland Andalucia

If you have any suggestions of towns, please feel free to toss them at me and I’ll go and research them.

thanks in advance,
Emma

Posted: 16 October 2010 05:01 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2009-01-26
motema15 - 12 October 2010 02:04 AM

+a climate that’s not freezing in winter or boiling in summer (I’m thinking something similar to the climate of Madrid would suit me…I know I can’t afford to spend money on lots of air-con or heating).

Hi, can’t be of much help, butfrom personal experience stay away from madrid and surrounding area. I have found it to be much colder in winter and hotter in summer than many coastal areas.

the best weather areas are unfortunately for you, popular tourist areas.

Signature 

Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol Blog

Posted: 17 October 2010 02:21 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-10-12

Thanks very much for that info.  I’m looking at places around Granada at the moment - that seems like a good area for me.

cheers!
Emma

Posted: 18 October 2010 06:29 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-10-18

Andrew is correct, Madrid can get frightfully cold in winter, I remember last year they had a snow blizzard of note.
I have visited Extremedura, and although lovely, it is a very rustic city, reminds me of the middel ages which is nice if you into that sort of thing, but Granada is wonderful, good choice, I have looked there myself but settled for Malaga.
Granada seems to have everything, beautiful snow capped mountain views and still the pleasure of have the med close by as well. Also, rental prices do not seem to bad there, depending which area suits you though.

Signature 

Spain Expat and Travel Guide http://www.allabroadspain.com

Posted: 19 October 2010 02:01 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-10-12

Hi,

I have an illness that leaves with very little energy each day.  Getting around a small place is much easier for me than navigating around a large city - I just find it too exhausting.

cheers
Em

Posted: 19 October 2010 02:36 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-10-12

Yes, I can see your point there.  I’m leaning towards Alahama De Granada and the town looks easy enough to get around on foot, with some bus connections to surrounding towns…so I think that will be OK.