Looking for advice
Posted: 16 December 2010 01:56 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-16

Hello again,

My name is Graeme; a mid forties guy from Leeds in West Yorkshire. I?ve recently returned to Leeds having lived and worked in Kiev for the best part of six years. Earlier this year I was made redundant whilst in Kiev, and having spent some time seeking alternative employment, my search was fruitless, and I returned to the UK.

The first part of my career was spent in retailing, where I progressed to General Store Manager with BHS and Marks & Spencer, before moving into the hospitality, leisure and tourism industry on a self employed basis. During the past seventeen years I owned leases to- and/or managed various pubs, bars, restaurants, nightclubs a stadium and hotel.

Having had no success finding employment in the UK or Ukraine, I looked to Spain as a possible source of securing some work. Though well qualified and having held several prominent positions, I am considering jobs of a non professional basis, whether permanent, temporary, official or otherwise. I consider myself to be mature and experienced, intelligent, polite, humorous and honest, whilst valuing job satisfaction above monetary gain. I have been divorced several years, with no children.

If any expats on here can offer me advice, I will be pleased to hear.

Graeme;

Posted: 22 December 2010 10:56 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-01

All I know is the only job you can get best here is anything related to information technology. Tumbit has perfectly said what i have in mind. its better to have everything planned and thought before pursuing any career here in Spain.

Posted: 07 January 2011 12:09 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-01-06

Hello everybody and first of all Feliz 2011! I hope nobody will mind if I continue the conversation here.

If I understood correctly, Selena mentioned about possibilities of getting an IT job in Spain. I am actually looking for one, and any advice or help is greatly appreciated. What are the chances currently in the Barcelona or Tarragona area?

I have a degree in Electronics & Telecommunications, two CompTIA certificates on top, about 5+ yrs working in IT mainly as System Administrator (but it basically involved everything related IT in the office, from the smallest to the most complicated task), plus few years working on my own mostly as a gap when moving from country to country.

My main effort so far has been InfoJobs but without any luck at all now for few months. :( I’m not picky about the money or the job title, I love technology and IT and willing to do almost any job related to it. I also have wide knowledge about electronics, systems, networks, etc even about stuff I haven’t specifically worked with.

We just like it here with my girlfriend and would like to stay. We are hardworking and not picky.

My GF has recently graduated fashion design and this would be her first job, so we did expect more trouble in finding one for her. But she’s happy even starting off in a boutique for example.

We are both new here and don’t have a network of friends, and that’s how jobs in Spain mostly go it seems.

Is there a place under the sun for us? We just want to make it work.

Sorry about the long post. Any questions, feel free to ask. At the moment we are between Barcelona and Tarragona, so looking in the area of these two cities is the primary option. We would consider moving to another area of Spain but only if a firm job offer is made I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help. Best regards.
Darko.