Job search help
Posted: 27 January 2011 12:21 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-25

Hi all,
My husband and I are hoping to move to Spain asap.  Our main issue right now is finding a job for my husband.  We currently live in Ontario, Canada and he is employed as a Licensed Industrial Millwright.  I have been checking the job sites recently and have found some of them to be lacking actual job postings or just terribly frustrating to navigate.  I was hoping that someone may be able to recommend the best course of action for finding a job in Spain while we are still located in Canada.  Is it better to go through a recruitment agency?  Should we consider hiring somebody to find a job for us?  Or is the internet the best route?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!

Thank you,
Glenna

Posted: 27 January 2011 02:05 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Glenna,
How much have you researched this so far?

I’m going to be gentle (others on here are less so sometimes): it’s not very likely that you’ll successfully find a job for your husband whilst in Canada, nor is it much more likely when you’re in Spain itself. Spain has a very high unemployment rate (around 20%) and has lost much of its manufacturing base to China and Asia, just as Canada has.

I suggest you seriously consider alternatives or provide us more information on other occupational interests and possibilities for you and your family.

We haven’t even touched on the visa issue yet.

There is lots of great information on this site to help you in your quest. Please start with some of the links in my signature and go from there.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 06 February 2011 02:23 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-02-05

Hello,

Please feel free to contact me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
I will be glad to help you.

I’ve been living in Madrid for 14 years and have some contacts that may help.

Regards,
LL

Posted: 16 February 2011 09:52 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-07-07

I have been using http://www.jobsinspain.ie which is an English language jobsite for finding English language jobs in Spain.

Moving there in 4 months so hoping to find something pretty soon!