Requirements for Canadian to spend >90 days in Spain?
Posted: 07 February 2011 01:16 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-07

Hi

I am a Canadian and I want to spend 4 to 5 months in Spain.  I will rent a place for a while and will be mostly relaxing and doing some artwork.  But I am getting some conflicting information about the necessary documentation.  I understand that I can stay for 90 days but what happends after that?  Do I need some special visa? 

I hope someone may have some information. 

Thanks
Emily

Posted: 07 February 2011 04:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Emily Hi

Most of the information you require is summed up here

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/visas_in_spain_for_work_or_holiday/

Failing this maybe a phone call to your nearest Spanish Embassy.

Hope this helps.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 08 February 2011 02:08 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-02-07

Hi Foxbat

Thanks for the link.  I also called the nearest embassy (Ottawa) and I was told to read their website.  They would not really answer any questions.  I see on the website

here

it says for a national visa “The visa application must be made in person”.  I live in Vancouver and the embassy is in Ottawa and the nearest consulate is in Edmonton.  Any idea how to deal with this? 

Also, there seems to be a tremendous amount of documentation needed.  I know of others who applied and received the Visa (for 6 mths) and were not required to produce a doctors certificate or certificate of good conduct from the police (I’m not even sure how to go about getting such things).  Do you know if these are mandatory?  On the “Application for a National Visa” document that I was told to download and fill out it also asks for proof of medical insurance as well as proof that you are financially capable of taking care of yourself.  I don’t even know what kind of documents are necessary for this.

Would you know if this is just a matter of them asking for everything then looking at what you provide and making a reasonable decision, or do they absolutely require all of the documentation?  I’m getting worried here.  This all seems a bit much.

Thanks
Emily

Posted: 08 February 2011 06:02 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Emily;

I have passed a note over to one of the administrators of this forum re-yr questi0on. He is Canadaian and may be more up to speed on the latest requirements,
beyond that I have no other suggestions. I hope you get it sorted.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 08 February 2011 07:32 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-02-07

Thanks for your help foxbat.

-Emily

Posted: 08 February 2011 07:34 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

To get the doctor’s certificate, go to your GP and ask them for one. They’ll provide.

To get the good conduct report, go to the Police Station and request it. It’s like $25 or something but takes only 10 min.

Immigration is not something you want to goof around with. If you’re going to do it through the official channels to request a proper visa, then definitely check the boxes and send them all the documentation they request. The more the better in fact.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 February 2011 07:35 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Also look around at the many forum members asking about overstaying their 90 days. There are plenty of them on here and lots of good info.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 February 2011 12:55 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-02-07

Hi

I’ve been at this all day and made a lot of calls.  It seems the only way I can go to Spain and spend over 3 months there is to apply and pay for Spanish School.  I am looking into doing this but I am wondering what happens if you pay for a school but dont attend?

I have heard that if you get into a school and cancel when you are there, the school will alert immigration.  But I wonder what happens if you don’t cancel but just stop going to class after the first month or so?

I know it is a tremendous waste of money (that I really don’t have) but I have a committment to be there.  And there really does not seem to be any other way unfortunately. 

Emily

Posted: 09 February 2011 12:58 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

I’d probably not worry about it too much depending on what school you choose. International House will probably be better than others, for example. That said, I loved my Spanish classes and definitely wouldn’t have quit them. They’re great for meeting people too!

Maybe I should go back and do another course…

Signature