Advice please….living in spain - working in Gibralter
Posted: 22 June 2007 06:10 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-06-22

hi guys, my first posting on this forum, but any info really appreciated,
ive been offered a job in Gibralter, and am very keen to take it on.  I spent few months on the costa del sol previously, but further down the coast, benaldmadena way.
Really just looking for some information from anyone about living in spain, but working in Gib…

-What areas should i be looking to locate, and how the commute to gib is each day.  looked at san pedro/estepona - but have noticed most people seem to come in from la linea.  Is Estepona too far to commute??!??
-Is the commute easy? - any public transport or a vehicle highly advised?
-Internet connection/ sky TV - are both fairly easy to obtain, and install in these areas???

any info anyone has will be greatly appreciated.  Look forward to speaking to people in similar postiiton/made similar move,

cheers

Posted: 22 June 2007 02:29 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-06-22

Ok, well the buses from Estepona/San Pedro run every 2 hours and take about an hour and a half to get to La Linea bus station. The drive to La Linea will take about an hour, plus then you have the conundrum of what to do with your car once you get there (brave a half hour queue to get into gib, or leave it in la linea and walk over)

If I was driving, I would not look much further up the coast than Sotogrande or Duquesa, although I plumped for the La Linea option, as it takes me a leisurely15 minutes to walk to the border. You may hear horror stories about La Linea, and yes, there are bad parts…but generally the place has improved massively over the last few years and there are some very pleasant parts to live.

I had Sky TV fitted for 450 euros, which included the dish, installation and set top box. You then have the option to receive free-view at no extra cost, or you can subscribe to any of the Sky packages at the same price you would pay in the UK.

Internet - Ono provide 4 meg internet for around 35 euros a month, its reasonably fast and reliable. Telefonica is slower and more expensive, but is more widely available in less developed towns than Ono.

If youre single or part of a young couple, Id recommed you move to La Linea. If you have kids and are happy to drive up to an hour each way, Id recommend Duquesa.

Cheers and good luck.

Posted: 22 June 2007 05:48 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-06-22

thanks for your help,
ive just private messaged you - reply at ur earliest convenience/

thanks

Posted: 30 May 2008 02:36 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-05-30

Hi everybody!

I’m in the same boat as scottym,

Moving over in about 6-8 weeks and looking for a long term rental. Was thinking about Duquesa, but the commute is really making me think again. The idea of a nice 15 minute walk sounds ideal! Has anybody got any suggestions for nice areas to live in La Linea?

What is it like for social life, restaurants, beach life, etc in La Linea? My girlfriend and I are moving over and like the idea of eating out, meeting new friends etc…I’m mid-thirties, she’s mid twenties… No children, but I do have a 9 year old daughter who will be visiting a few times a year.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 01 June 2008 05:30 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-10-20

We live in Sabinillas near Duquesa and my husband commutes to Gibraltar daily. A lot of people who work in Gibraltar live in this area. If you let me know your budget and kind of property you require I can point you in the right direction.  For anyone with children please join http://www.manilvamums.com to find out about schools and whats on for kids.