We’re moving and were serious any feedback please???
Posted: 29 April 2011 04:04 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-04-29

Hi I’ve read so many comments in here and I feel as though im in the right place.

THIS IS MY FIRST POST 😊

My husband and I are really chomping at the bit to move kit and caboodle to Spain within the next 18 months to 2 years (wanting to rent for 6 months).

We are now learning Spanish using the Rosetta Stone programme and should be fluent within 6 months from now. We are thinking that it would be best to stay in the ‘Spanish’ speaking parts; as opposed to Galicia, Valencia and Catalonia. But we think that the Costa Blanca, Costa Brava or Northern in the Cantabria/Austurias/Basque County regions would be best.

We have already begun saving, and plan to buy outright a part company, part private residence. We are looking for a large 7-10 bed ocean view (though not necessarily sea front) location for what will be a dream home. The plan is to NOT move over there with anything much, we are going to furnish out there and I’m presenty refusing to upgrade anything in present accommodation.

Now, here’s the thing, money shouldn’t be a problem we have a successful business in the UK and can work virtually anywhere and we plan to book our biweekly trips to the UK well in advanced. We won’t need to look for work out in Spain, but will need to pick a really great area, not more than 1 hr from the airport, low crime, good shops and amenities and just a great place to entertain clients, have parties and live.

We don’t have children, just our surrogate son (our cat) who is very much integral to our lives and happiness. (so I was disappointed to hear that Spanards not good with kitties).

I have so many questions, but I guess just any feedback you all could offer would be really appreciated, plus any location recommendations.

I have noticed that unfortunately Valencia and Catalonia take up most of the East Coast, and I don’t want to go too far south as the commute back to London is shorter the monor north you are.  I really don’t want to be inland.

So any feedback? Thanks

Abbi

Posted: 29 April 2011 12:39 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Abby,

Big move, I hope that it works for you.

The Costa Blanca is split into north and south. The costa Blanca South has good access to the UK via two airports “Alicante and Mucia” both providing access to many UK airports. There is a very good motorway link north to south, plus an improving rail link from all over europe and with a new highspeed link being constructed, this will make a differance. The are gives you a wide range of property types but you are looking for a large property with 7 - 10 bedrooms so I would suggest that you would be looking inland.

With the cost of property, the further inland you go, the cheaper the price of the property and larger the plot.

If we can be any further help, then do please come back to us.

Signature 

http://www.damattproperty.com
http://www.rentproperty-spain.com

Posted: 29 April 2011 02:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-29

Thanks a lot, good food for thought, are there any negatives? And is it easy to get a high speed Internet connection

Posted: 29 April 2011 03:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Abby,

There are always negatives. Things take a long time to get completed many of the utility companies take an age to do anything, internet connectins are not what they are in the UK but it is improving with many area’s not having the internet at all. There are some properties that do not even have mains water and electricity, especially inland.

The thing most expats find hard is to change their thought that they are on holiday and the memories of the UK and they still want UK brands and to eat out every night, then it becomes very expensive and the small amount of money they have does not go far.

It also gets very hot in summer and cool in winter, plus it also rains and have earthquakes.

There is little or no public transport outside many of the major cities, so unless you have a car, then it is a taxi or walk.

The Spanish people are, in the main, very friendly and welcoming, but they do like it if you try and speak the language, it is much like those in the UK are when people come to the UK from other countries and do not speak english and do not mix with the locals because they do not speak the language.

I think the best thing is that you learn the language to get by locally and expect it to be difficult and testing, plus there will be times when you will miss the things from the UK and there will be a temptation to keep going back to the UK to see family and friends.

Good luck with your dream

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2011 04:40 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-29
damatt - 29 April 2011 03:17 PM

Hi Abby,

It also gets very hot in summer and cool in winter, plus it also rains and have earthquakes.

Earthquakes… Omg what areas are most susceptible to earthquakes?

Would welcome having a chat with you about properties you could suggest closer to the time. We want to holiday in August in the areas we are interested in.

Posted: 29 April 2011 04:49 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-11-08
abbigirl1234 - 29 April 2011 02:42 PM

Thanks a lot, good food for thought, are there any negatives? And is it easy to get a high speed Internet connection

Hi, What line of business are you in?

If internet connection is paramount then perhaps satellite connection would be the best route, there is a guy on these forums that can give you better info on the subject.

Do a search here for Mike Edwards - Solar Sky.

Posted: 29 April 2011 04:50 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Abby,

Nothing like Japan, but the ground does shake a little, but all the properties are built to cope with those that do happen, I don’t think it is something to put you off if you are looking to go. We have an apartment in a small village just inland and it is not something that put us off.

We would be happy to speak with you at anytime about properties or moving out.

Dave

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2011 05:35 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-29

Not put off. But glad to have real perspectives. I tried calling but couldn’t get through.
Thanks for imput. Does anyone else have anything the can share

Posted: 29 April 2011 05:38 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-29

Not put off. But glad to have real perspectives. I tried calling but couldn’t get through.
Thanks for imput. Does anyone else have anything they can share?

Posted: 29 April 2011 09:26 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

Don’t be put off Galicia by the language, Gallego is very similar to castellano. Generally in the cities here the predominant language is castellano, everybody speaks it, 90% of the media is castellano so no problem - I have a business here and only speak castellano. There are daily flights from Santiago to Stanstead and from La Coru?a to Heathrow. The metropolitan area around La Coru?a could be interesting, Oleiros, Ria de Betanzos etc- as could places on the Rias Baixas like the Ria de Arousa - Sanxenxo, Cambados etc. In Asturias you wouldn’t have a direct flight to the UK. Santander would be a good bet on the Nortern coast in Cantabria, I’m not sure if there are direct flights now to Santander, but Bilbao isn’t far away. On the other side of Bilbao, you could look towards San Sebastian. The only problem with Pais Vasco is that Basque isn’t easy to learn, you’ll have no problem with castellano there but there’s no similarities. Santander / San Sebastian are much tidier and more impressive than their Galician counterparts. 7 to 10 beds in the North you will be looking at a ‘Pazo’ or a large city townhouse.

Six months to become fluent may be optimistic. Took me about a year and a half living here.

Posted: 30 April 2011 01:50 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-29

Thanks a lot for that.

As for fluency… I started learning 2 weeks ago and woke up speaking Spanish this morning! Gonna really look into your comments on location, and your point about language is reassuring

Posted: 30 April 2011 06:57 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-30

In case you haven’t already seen it, visit http://www.fotocasa.es and click the region you are interested in.  I would deduct approx 18% from any price you see on the site due to overhead that is most likely assoicated with the inmobiliaria.  I spend most of my time in southern Spain (Cadiz and Malaga) and that’s where I will retire once I leave the U.S. hopefully in the fall.  I’ve seen a number of homes in the region you referred to 7-10 bedrooms from 220k - 5 million euros.  Barcelona alone has over 6000 homes for sale on this site.  Browse and I’m sure you will find exactly what you’re looking for.

Posted: 30 April 2011 11:17 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Soycauno

I know this site, the problem is that it is only in Spanish, so unless you have a grasp, then it is difficult.

18% I feel is a figure plucked from the sky, it depends on where you are buying and what you are buying, cash or mortgage. Agents do not have that much to play with as far as commission is concerned, again location is the factor. Most agents work on 3% of the sale price.

Barcelona is a VERY expensive place to buy, I have a client looking to buy a 5 bedroom property for ?350000 and it is difficlut if not impossible unless he goes out of the city, so prices will depend on the location and you can not say that one price fits all as it does not.

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2011 04:58 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-30

It really all depends what you’re looking for and whether or not you can pay cash.  I can only speak for properties I’ve researched in Andalucia as I’ve made several trips specifically looking to purchase property.  Dealing directly with owners, I’ve made 120k euro offers that were accepted for properties listed at 150k euros.  I only use fotocasa to get a feel for what the price should be generally.  I was under the impression “Abby” was looking to purchase a property outright.  Writing a check for 350k euros can move many sellers in the right direction, for the desired location, and the type of property desired.

Posted: 01 May 2011 02:35 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-29

Yes I wanna buy outright and know that someone with a sticking property would be interested in a cash offer even if less than the amount.

Thanks I’ll have a look at that site you mentioned.

Abbi