We will be moving down to Spain january 2012 and need help
Posted: 13 May 2011 02:30 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-05-13

Hello, My wife and I are moving down to Spain next year in January.

Because of disability for 33 years I have been on disability living allowance and will give it up upon leaving the UK, my wife as been my paid carer for 6 years. Together we have made a living self employed selling on eBay and amazon and record fairs selling our old vinyl records and VHS, and this will be what we will be doing when we arrive in Spain, it will be our only income, we have nothing else.

My questions concerns the actual arrival in Spain, we will be renting period, and I will need to set up self employment on arrival as a sole trader.

Do we have to pay this 231 euros a month that we have heard about that’s similar to national insurance in the UK, or what?

We need to know whats the best tax form of the three that would be best for us, because when we move down with our rent and our living expense I worry that we would be made to pay the wrong amount of tax under the 12 week system of tax payment, so given I think we will not earn no more than 1000 euros a month selling on ebay and maybe at local markets, what would be the best way of submitting out tax return out of the ones available.

We want to make sure we do the legal stuff correctly, so could someone tell me what We need to do with regards to setting myself up again in self employment on arrival, as painless as possible please.

to recap

Im 55 years old my wife is 49 years old

we expect to earn around a 1000 euros a month selling on ebay amazon and at record fairs

I am at moment on disability living allowance because of an inopbrable brain condition

We will only be renting we have no house to sell

I will need to be a sole trader so need to know the best way to apply to authorities

and details of what we need to pay each month wit regards to the 231 we have heard about that’s said to be payable by all ???

We have wanted to move to Spain for ages, and now with my health the way it is we feel I will benefit from the climate
we will be moving to the costa del sole / Malaga area somewhere.

thanks for any help and very best wishes to all

Posted: 13 May 2011 04:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2010-06-04

I thought it was about 270 euros a month. I am not 100% sure but I know you have to pay it redardless of what you earn. I also think you pay tax in advance on your projected earnings. Being self emoloyed is expensive in Spain. Most people in your situation would not bother to declare their earnings. Renting a property is quite cheap at the moment, but electric and internet are expensive.

Posted: 13 May 2011 05:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-11-08

Tell nobody, say nothing. Enjoy the sunshine.

Posted: 13 May 2011 07:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

pat hi…

Because of disability for 33 years I have been on disability living allowance and will give it up upon leaving the UK, my wife as been my paid carer for 6 years.

Not so sure you need to give it up; you need to talk to DWP; suggest you read carefully the content of the link below and other subsequent pages…

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/Introductiontofinancialsupport/DG_073387

There may also be some relevant information in this publication from Age Concern Spain…(and yes I did note your respective ages!)

http://www.acespana.org/acespana/files/Infosheet3-Exportablebenefits-November-2006.pdf

1000 Euros a month is borderline as a joint income. It could well be the difference between ‘living’ and ‘surviving’... especially after you have deducted rent, rates, and utilities. You also need to consider transportation costs.

I cannot comment on whether you need to pay the 270 Euros…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773