Looking for a little advice on finding work in Barcelona
Posted: 17 May 2011 04:11 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-05-17

Hi all,

My wife and I recently arrived six weeks back in Barcelona from Toronto, and now we would like to stay permanently, or at least long term. We acquired our NIE’s a few weeks back, and now we’re starting our job search. Our spanish is very basic right now, though it’s improved quite a bit since first arriving, thanks to a great language exchange program we’ve been attending once a week. However, for the time being we are looking for jobs where the employer is seeking native english speakers, until our spanish improves and we grow closer to being fluent. 

We’ve had some luck already. AVIS, Citibank, and AMEX all have ads up for native english speaking jobs. However I had hoped to come here and get away from the suit and tie life I was living in Canada, and though I know the money’s not as good, I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a few bars in Barcelona that cater to a mostly english clientele, and might be willing to hire native english speakers as bartender or servers?

I also have a question about cover letters to go with your CV. I haven’t seen much written about them here, but in Canada they are common place, and essentially a requirement when responding to a job ad. Do you need a cover letter here as well?

Thanks to any and all who can offer some advice. Of course, any employment suggestons are welcome. Though I’d like to leave the desk job life behind, I realize it might not be feasible while I am still learning the language, so I’m more than happy to take what I can get!

Posted: 17 May 2011 07:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Do you guys have work permits? This is going to be of concern to any potential employer. Understand that your’e competing against Brits (native English speakers) who have the right to work in Spain. We Canadians do not unfortunately.

Have you been through our Work in Spain section? Lots in there about finding jobs, writing your CV and such, particularly for non-EU expats.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 17 May 2011 11:12 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-05-17

Actually, we are dual citizens (Canada and the UK thanks to our parents being born in Scotland). We have EU passports, and already have NIEs, the tandem I believe allows us the right to work here?

I have read some sections of the work in Spain section, the CV part was particularly helpful. I realized shortly after posting that the Letter of Introduction is the same thing as a cover letter, essentially.

Thanks for the reply, if I am mistaken about our UK citizenship allowing us to work here, it’s good to know as soon as possible.

Posted: 17 May 2011 11:13 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

If you’ve got your NIE and you passports then I think you’re good to go. Good luck fellow Canucks!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 17 May 2011 11:19 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-05-17

Cheers, mate! Thanks for the help, much appreciated.