CRIME RATE
Posted: 19 May 2011 05:20 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-04-28

Is there any crime problems in Spain I should know about before moving there.

Posted: 19 May 2011 07:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

What kind of crime problems would concern you? Have you been to Spain before?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 19 May 2011 09:52 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-28

Yes I have been to Spain many times but as a tourist. As a tourist I would expect to hear of theft or crimes along that line but I was meaning living there . For example is there allot of house breaking or car theft.????? I realise there is crime in every country in the world but I was just wondering if there was anything in particular I should be aware off.

Posted: 19 May 2011 09:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Just car jackings I’d say: http://www.myspain.es/forum/general-discussion/816-warning-method-car-jacking-look-out.html

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 19 May 2011 10:58 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Scotsman what crime problem have you there , will think we have the same here , stay out the bad area , very where has then , spain UK and so on

Posted: 20 May 2011 04:46 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

Less crime than in the UK. Perception of crime much lower as well. Reporting in the papers tends to to in waves, some time ago there was a lot of reporting of people having bags stolen whilst waiting at traffic lights - now I don’t hear anything about that. Last year there was a problem with violent housebreaking in Valencia region and to a point here in Galicia, it seems that the groups responsible have been caught. Like everywhere, pickpocketing exists.

Posted: 20 May 2011 09:45 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-28

Thanks that was the sort of reply I was expecting. Is it advisable to install a Alarm at your residence. I dont have much in the way of crime here just some noisey teens on a friday night but nothing ever happens here. Is house Insurance the norm in Spain or should you concentrate more on locks etc.