How to get a N.I.E without a ‘Padron’?
Posted: 26 May 2011 10:04 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-05-09

Hi,

I have an appointment for a ‘N.I.E.’ next week but I don’t have a Certificado de Empadronamiento (because my landlord is renting without declaring the income, so doesn’t want to give me the approval that I am living in his apartment)

Is it still possible for me to get a NIE, and what other documents can I take to the appointment?

thanks for any help or advice

Philip

Posted: 26 May 2011 10:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28

You do not need the Padron to get an NIE.

You should take your completed NIE application form (EX-14 - available on the internet), fee payment form/receipt (get form at Police Station, pay at bank, take receipt to appointment) and passport…plus copies of everything! It is sufficient to say that you want “to buy a car” (Para comprar un coche) on the form when it asks why you want an NIE.

As regards your landlord - it is despicable that he does not think he has to pay tax and if he denies you the right to be on the padron then you might not be able to enjoy certain things such as rights to Council provided services/state health care/education/discounts on council run courses etc.

Posted: 26 May 2011 10:31 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-05-09
shaggymon - 26 May 2011 10:28 PM

You should take your completed NIE application form (EX-14 - available on the internet), fee payment form/receipt (get form at Police Station, pay at bank, take receipt to appointment) and passport…plus copies of everything! It is sufficient to say that you want “to buy a car” (Para comprar un coche) on the form when it asks why you want an NIE.

As regards your landlord - it is despicable that he does not think he has to pay tax and if he denies you the right to be on the padron then you might not be able to enjoy certain things such as rights to Council provided services/state health care/education/discounts on council run courses etc.

Thanks ever so much for your help….many landlords do that apparently!

So where can I get this form EX-14 then?

And should I take my passport (with copies) and passport photo’s?

thanks,

Philip

Posted: 26 May 2011 10:33 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Agree with Shaggymon. You should definitely not stand for that. We all know that this is widespread, but the padron is the key to accessing the services mentioned and his decision to take that away from you infringes on your civil rights. You may want to find a local abogado to see if they’re willing to point you in the right direction for help.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 26 May 2011 10:57 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-05-09
The Expatriator - 26 May 2011 10:33 PM

Agree with Shaggymon. You should definitely not stand for that. We all know that this is widespread, but the padron is the key to accessing the services mentioned and his decision to take that away from you infringes on your civil rights. You may want to find a local abogado to see if they’re willing to point you in the right direction for help.

Unfortunately there is probably no recourse against my landlord that will also allow me to continue living where I live with such good flatmates only a couple minutes from a Metro station, in a large apartment…...

So as I have a Tarjeta Sanitaria already, I’m going to forego the Padron until I move home…

anyway, I have completed Form EX-14, shall take it to madrid Plaza del Campillo Mundo Nuevo 3 and look for the National Police Station tomorrow…is that the right place?

cheers
Philip

Posted: 26 May 2011 10:58 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28
OurManInBananas - 26 May 2011 10:31 PM
shaggymon - 26 May 2011 10:28 PM

Thanks ever so much for your help….many landlords do that apparently!

So where can I get this form EX-14 then?

And should I take my passport (with copies) and passport photo’s?

thanks,

Philip

I am assuming you are an EU citizen…

Passport & copies - yes. Photos not needed.

Form here (near the bottom of the list):

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/extranjeria/

Posted: 27 May 2011 01:50 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-05-09

thanks Shaggymon ...

Posted: 27 May 2011 02:03 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Many resident landlords do not need to pay tax on rental income. There are allowances etc which legally mean there is no tax due. Plus the fact the Spanish government is targetting landlords by checking property registers against electricity consumption to identify which properties are inhabitted. So landlords watch out!

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/