< 1 2 3
3 of 3
Instituto Hemingway?  How to fund my year in Madrid. . .
Posted: 10 August 2009 08:25 PM   [ # 31 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-06-03

I am sorry to hear that. I was so happy to work through Instituto Hemingway. I highly recommend Instituto Hemingway for their professionalism. In their rules you have the right to be offered a second placement and I am surprised they didn?t.  All I can say is that my experience was fantastic and I would recommend Instituto Hemingway by all means for any work abroad programs. I have heard that sometimes Instituto Hemingway keeps the money paid for up to a year for other programs you might take. This could be also a good option.  😉

Posted: 20 May 2010 02:39 PM   [ # 32 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-20
Megan Moving to Madrid - 30 May 2009 07:57 AM

Hi everyone.  I studied abroad in Madrid several years ago, and now I would like to come back for a while.  I plan to head there in the fall and stay for about 8 months at this point, and then I’ll probably head home again, unless I get too addicted and feel my Spanish is good enough for an engineering job.

Anyway, I don’t have enough capital to really feel comfortable just moving there and seeing what happens.  I’m an American, and I’ve heard that much of the teaching work would have to be under the table and not pre-arranged since I don’t have a degree or any experience in that area. 

I found a company called Instituto Hemingway which has already guaranteed that they can find me a hospitality-type job in a hotel in Madrid for the duration.  (Receptionist, maid, waitress, etc.)  I would go on a student visa and pretty much be cheap labor for the hotel.  In exchange I get all room and board and a minimum of 50 additional euros a week as pocket money, depending on the hotel.  The lodging is EITHER in a room in the hotel or in a nearby apartment, once again depending on the hotel.  In addition, I have to pay Insituto Hemingway a placement fee.  For an 8-month stint, the fee is about $1500.

My first questions are, has anyone heard of Instituto Hemingway?  Is it a reputable company?

Next, have you heard of anyone with a similar arrangement?  (Student visa accompanied by a low-level hospitality job.)

Do you think it sounds like a terrible arrangement?

If they are on the up-and-up, I think it would be a good arrangement for me.  I like the idea of paying for a couple thousand worth of plane tickets and program costs before I go, but then knowing I have a roof, guaranteed job, and pocket money for the duration.     

Thanks for your input. 😊

-
I did this placement in Spain last year, and I was really happy with Instituto Hemingway. Their treatment was always efficient and really helpful. It does at first seem like quite a lot of money to be spending but the experience you gain is really valuable, especially to enhance my CV. It was a really great way to spend a summer! I recommend it to everyone!

Posted: 23 June 2011 03:10 PM   [ # 33 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-06-23

Hi ppl,

I am from Finland but I currently live in Spain. I have learned spanish for many years and before coming here I was fluent. I was looking for some company which can help me settle down here and find a internship and a flat. I spent lots of time in Internet, but I wasnt sure about all propositions. Then one of my friend recommended me Instituto Hemingway located in Bilbao. She took a spanish language course here and really enjoy it. I contacted with them and they replied me immediately. Frankly speaking I was a bit surprised after all opinios Ive heard about spanish ppl. They of course surprised me in positive way. They found me nice job in Madrit and also well placed flat. It wasnt in the city center but was quite cheap and with great communication, so I could easly go everywhere. I really enjoyed my time here and the best proof of that is that after one year In am still here 😊
I can guess that ppl has different experiences but at least in my case I can highly recommend cooperation with Instituto Hemingway.

< 1 2 3
3 of 3