QUESTION
Posted: 10 July 2011 06:52 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-04-28

Moving to Spain but not found House to Rent yet. Which should I do first.
Get Bank Account in Spain or Get House in Spain.
I was told you need a Bank Account to pay the rental money but do you not need a address to open a bank account.

Any idea’s.

Posted: 10 July 2011 09:56 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Bank a/c first.

A typical non resident account should be your first step.

Your UK address will be recorded. When you apply for residencia, notify your Spanish Bank and they should change the account to a residents account.

You can use Spanish banks for direct debits for utilities etc.

Spanish banks also have online access so you can keep an eye on things generally 24/7.

The bank should accept proof of UK address and passport details initially.

Hope this helps.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 11 July 2011 09:00 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-28

Yes it does help allot. Is there any way you can open account online or do you have to be in Spain to do so.? Also once you find a rental property you want I take it the rent will be by direct debit from your Spanish account.

Posted: 11 July 2011 09:39 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

My current landlord only wants cash, much easier for hiding under the matress. The landlord in my shop also prefers cash. The Spanish are strange like that.

Posted: 12 July 2011 12:27 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Having a bank account in spain , no need to be halling cash around , get ATM card only think ned to do keep spanish account top up and pay top ups for phones and rent , you can I-BAN you account from you account at home , The International Bank Account Number (IBAN) is an international standard for identifying bank accounts across national borders with a minimal of risk of propagating transcription errors. It was originally adopted by the European Committee for Banking Standards (ECBS), and was later adopted as an international standard , takes 3 day to transferred to your Spanish account

Posted: 15 July 2011 12:38 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-28

Thanks for all the help.

Posted: 17 July 2011 06:53 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-07-14

Hi,

You need a bank account but at the first time you can pay by transfer, or by cash…the bank account will help you to open electricity, line…in your house, then you don’t waste your time doing this.

If you are looking for an house near Gibraltar I can help you.
Sent me a PM

Good luck,